News about tech from xda developers and others

Qualcomm Announces Always Connected Platform for Windows devices.

They are ARM-based devices running windows. Contain an x86 emulator that allows most 32-bits x86 applications to run unmodified…

I thing if windows could do that, it can be possible to do the similar with linux x86 apps to run in an ARM-based devices.

I’m all for using ARM. I looked into their company and they seem good, and I love how their site is clean and to the point, no nonsense.

Would it be feasible to put something like the ARM Cortex-A75 in? I can’t find any price on anything from them, but it’s apparently the most powerful thing ARM has to offer.

I know I’ve been pushing for higher-performance chips, but that’s only if ARM isn’t an option.

I’d have to accept the machine not being as fast as Intel chips for most uses, but if it increases security and, I hope, also reduces the price, then I’m game.

Purism won’t have to sweat the ME anymore in this case and will be able to think about other things.

That being said - I feel like it’d be a bit of a slap in the face for the devs after everything they’ve done to free Intel chips. All those hours of work and then “Lol nvm we use ARM now. Your work start over kthxbye”.

Thus, I feel that the best thing to do would be to give users an option between ARM and Intel, if possible.

Question though - would TPM be compatible with ARM chips?

Linux doesn’t really need an x86 emulator for ARM. Since most programs are open-soource, they can just be compiled natively, which improves performance and compatibility.

I like these Always Connected concept for the promise of a long battery life, I only see one problem: will the bootloader be open enough to allow linux installation? ( see e.g. devices with windows RT which didn’t allow this)

1 Like