Nexdock 360 wired not working with Librem 5

I am hoping someone can help me here. I received my Nexdock 360 wired. There is no video when plugged to my phone. It says it was connected, i could use the mouse and keyboard on my Librem 5.
It seems Librem 5 is not sending video or Nexdock is not receiving video
Nexdock is recognized in Mobile settings under convergence.

Any suggestion?

Try different cables and orientations oft the plugs…

1 Like

Yep, this is usually a cable thing.

Thank you for your quick responses. I shall order a new cable and try it again.

I have recently had to re-flash my Librem5 and am reconfiguring.

My nexdock lapdock does not get recognized by the phone in the mobile settings/convergence menu.

I can move the mouse and use the keyboard but nothing on the dock display. I used both supplied cables in all 4 orientations.

Any suggestions what to do now?

1 Like

I’m just throwing this link in case it helps someone: Unlocking Your USB-C Port's Display Potential: A Beginner's Guide to DP Alt Mode . I’m currently traveling and took my (UPerfect) lapdock but forgot the cable at home, turning the lapdock into a useless extra weight to carry around. None of the cables I found in the shops support video.

However @michel_souris I understand your cable is fine if you say it’s the one that came with the dock.
Next option would be to look at Display Settings and check if the external display is turned on…?

2 Likes

Just putting it out there but doesn’t the Librem 5’s charging cable support video?

2 Likes

In the Settings/display tab there is only one display listed, the built-in one. Plus a tab for night light.

In the mobile settings app the Covergence still does show " no known docks detected ".

I’m still at a loss here, what’s next?

1 Like

I had a similar experience with a Lenovo Thinkpad dock. A different USB-C cable fixed it. I went back to the old cable and got it to work by flipping USB-C connector end upside down (not that there’s an up or down side).

2 Likes

As I said above, I used both the official cables in all possible configs but no display on the dock, I can type on the L5 screen and use the mouse so there is some connection. And it was working fine before my L5 chocked on an update and had to be reflashed…

1 Like

lsusb is always your friend for troubleshooting this kind of thing but, having said that, it would be most useful if you could compare the output from when it worked with the output now, and I imagine that that is not a possibility.

Looking for messages in the system log may also be useful.

If I understand correctly, lsusb will show - when you connect the lapdock - a USB hub appearing and, connected to that, a mouse and a keyboard appearing, but no display. Maybe a “billboard” will appear (indicating a display that wants to burst into life).

1 Like

This is correct, i see a keyboard and touch pad, and a terminus technology inc. Hub, but no billboard or display.

I’m still at a loss here, any takers before I kick
this over to purism support?

1 Like

Purism Support will probably want journal entries as suggested above. Are there any relevant ones?

Purism Support will probably also want the exact differences in lsusb output before and after plugging in the lapdock.

I wouldn’t worry about that. My lapdock gives the same message under Convergence and my dock works fine.

The lack of a display / billboard is the thing that needs to get solved.

2 Likes

Here’s the output of lsusb when my Uperfect is plugged in and does work:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2020:2060 Qualcomm, Incorporated Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:4041 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) Hub and media card controller
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2640 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 27c0:0819 Cadwell Laboratories, Inc. WingCoolTouch
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1c4f:007c SiGma Micro USB Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Apparently the lapdock is the Bus 003 entries, but I don’t see anything related to the display (just the touch screen, an input device). But the screen works fine…

2 Likes

That’s one thing that bugs me about Uperfect. Different models work differently. For the record when I plug in my Uperfect, among other things, I get:

Bus 003 Device 006: ID 1d5c:7102 Fresco Logic Generic Billboard Device

Would love lsusb to gain a -f option (by analogy with tail)

In the meantime,
lsusb >before.txt
(plug in)
lsusb >after.txt
diff before.txt after.txt

2 Likes

I did this and printed to diff.txt:

5a6,10

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 27c0:0819 Cadwell Laboratories, Inc. WingCoolTouch
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 258a:8072 SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub