No internet with the Librem 5

Here’s a price comparison for a secure, encrypted-call-enabled iPhone (granted, not a great one, because they cover it in 24k gold, but I don’t think the gold costs $8,000).

https://www.kryptall.com/

1 Like

then it’s a very HEAVY piece of technology … more like a gold brick … AND not running free-software !

1 Like

While this raises another possible failure mode, not all larger WiFi networks are set up like that. In my place of employ there are quite a few Wireless Access Points, they all offer the same SSID and have the same PSK, however they are all on the same VLAN and subnet, so there is no change to the client device’s IP address if it changes association from one WAP to another.

One area to look into is what algorithm is used to change association i.e. based on the RSSI for the various WAPs. However that is most likely in the blob of the WiFi client card (opaque to us and to Purism) and may or may not be documented and may or may not be configurable.

While this definitely causes hassle during testing, many a time :slight_smile: , you can usually trace this by connecting to the WAP and getting it to tell you what clients are associated with it.

Do note though that the user making the original report has at least successfully connected to the WiFi at work (as well as at home).

Regardless of any unusual WiFi configurations, the client device should never “freeze up” or become unresponsive.

2 Likes