No internet with the Librem 5

I can connect to the WiFi, but neither browsing nor checking for updates works. The browser complains that it can’t resolve names, but adding additional DNS servers to the wifi connection didn’t help.

can you plz show output of
ip ad
ip ro
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/nsswitch.conf

1 Like

Also you could try something like

dig google.com
dig google.com @8.8.8.8

to check DNS manually.

One thing you could test is to run the arp command which should list some IP addresses on your local network, like your gateway and such things, then you could try to ping one of those to see if the network works locally at least. (for example, if arp shows an IP address 1.2.3.4 then try the command ping 1.2.3.4) Does that work?

Hi @richi If you run the command ip addr from the Kings Cross terminal what is the output?

2 Likes

I would start by jumping on your Wireless Access Point (router?) from another device and confirm that this is really the case.

But that can be a symptom of not really having a working network connection at all.

An approximate troubleshooting order would be:

• Did the WiFi device on the phone come up?
  • Can it see your WAP?
  • Can it associate with your WAP? e.g. correctly entered SSID and PSK? MAC address exclusion?
  • Did it get an IP address (via DHCP)?
  • Is basic IP connectivity working? e.g. ping the phone from another host on the LAN / ping another host on the LAN from the phone (firewall? isolation?)

The commands already suggested cover most of the above.

Only then would I worry about DNS.

Also, please confirm that there is no SIM in the phone, so connection to the internet (if that is what you are attempting) is definitely via WiFi, not via the mobile network.

It is not uncommon that I see on Linux that a wired interface appears to be normal after boot (e.g. showing IP address via DHCP) but basic IP connectivity is not working and it is necessary to bounce the interface (sudo ifconfig your-interface-name down and then ... up).

1 Like

The wifi at home works. When I first started the phone in the office, it froze while connecting to the office wifi the first time. Subsequent removal and connecting freshly didn’t solve anything. I will try again in the officce next week. But for the moment I am reliaved to know that it works with the home wifi.

2 Likes

in office most probably is wpa2-enterprise (eap) or could also be captive portal for guests. wpa-supplicanr deffintely can work with both but there could be missing ui hooks to request credentials on the phone

3 Likes

@richi would you mind to send an email to: support@puri.sm with a description of all the issues you had?

We would love to have that feedback :slight_smile:

And also to check further into the issue you are having with the wifi

If that is the case then definitely not covered by my post above. My post above assumes WPA-Personal (aka WPA-PSK). Whether it is WPA or WPA2 or WPA3, well that’s a whole additional issue.

Also “jumping on the WAP” may not be possible in a work environment.

You may need to get your IT team to tell you what the WiFi environment is / settings need to be. You should do that before emailing Purism support.

3 Likes

I talked to a sysadmin, and he told me there is nothing special with the company wifi. But he told me that the signal strength is not great everywhere.
So I went straight to the physical wifi router. In close proximity, the phone connected successfully, and I was able to browse the web.
This is probably the reason there was something about antenna optimization in the description of a later batch.

1 Like

You said it “froze” before, but then you disconnected and reconnected. What did you mean by “froze?”

By freezing I mean that the display stayed static and didn’t respond to user input. Also pressing the power button didn’t turn off the screen. I had to remove the battery. After that did I disconnect and reconnect.
I think I had a freeze like this twice since I received the phone.

2 Likes

I would go ahead and email support describing that behavior then, even if you’ve figured out how to connect to your office wifi. That certainly isn’t supposed to happen. If you’re feeling froggy you can try and replicate the freeze and then flip the wifi killswitch to see if that unfreezes it, but I’d email regardless. Your feedback, at this stage of this game, is very valuable to everyone involved.

7 Likes

PureOS should sense the problem and generate a report to be sent to Purism. Am I wrong?

I guess a lot of customers would not be happy if the phone just solely phones back to purism even if it were to improve the product :wink:

4 Likes

I think PureOS should detect whatever problems it’s possible to detect and yes I think it should make a log of it but it shouldn’t be sending any data without asking.

3 Likes

In a large Enterprise WIFI system, the domain name always stays the same while you move from one wireless router to another as you travel around the campus/site. Each wireless router has it’s own IP address. This is different than a home router where you have only one wireless router and one corresponding IP address. The question is this: can your Librem 5 grab the new IP address as you leave range of one router and enter range of another router on the same WIFI network? I would test the Librem 5’s ability to automatically connect to each of two different routers on that Enterprise WIFI system. I would test using two routers that are as far apart from eachother as is possible, just to be sure that you are not connecting to a different router than the one you think you are connecting to. I have some devices at work that can only connect to the Enterprise WIFI system on the same router they were on the first time you connected to them. These devices have a discrete modem as the Librem 5 does, unlike the blob infested SOC chips that are typically used in smart phones and may know from a blob somewhere what to do to stay connected to an Enterprise WIFI network.

1 Like

It depends on if it can tell there’s an issue, and there could be a lot of reasons something fails. If you’re talking about richi’s issue, the phone might not even be “aware” it hung, much the same as boxers are sometimes unaware they were knocked out. Or a person might not know some stomach pain is actually cancer. The same way a person needs information and the language to describe some malady they may be suffering, a computer needs the programming to both know something is wrong and describe what is wrong (so it can say “this function failed” versus “something is bad”). As you can imagine, it’s impossible for a piece of software or operating system (or a person) to be able to articulate every problem it might encounter. It gets better over time for all of them, but it will never be perfect.

1 Like

I said “to be sent”. It would be up to the user to send it or not🙄