NO Notification sounds, speakers test does not work and NO phone ring, how to check?

I now have this ring problem too!
L5 USA UP to date
NO phone ring, how to check??
If there is code or something to compare with working phone and non-working one in the terminal???
The standard sounds work when changing from one to another.
T-Mobile US
I need the phone to ring!!!
I updated today and no fix.
Broke sometime on one of two previous updates.

off this subject what ever happened to pressing power button briefly to see battery % ?
did the start up problem get fixed… it sometimes works better but still not starting the same each time.

1 Like

One thing you could check is in “Settings” → “Sound” where there is a “Output Device” that can be set to different things, maybe you got a strange setting there for some reason? Mine is set to “Speaker - Built-in Audio” and if I press the “Test” button there and then “Front Left” or “Front Right” then it plays those test sounds, a voice saying “front left” and “front right”. Does that test work for you?

1 Like

Now I discovered that I also have this problem on my L5, when someone calls me there is no sound, only vibration. Audio works otherwise, it’s just that it does not ring when a call comes in.

1 Like

Yes, I have set that way non working speaker test but highlight as tough it works… but no sound. Phone calls and notifications there but no notification sounds.

? Why using full-upgrade breaks? ?Why would using different words cause breakage? ?Are different files accessed to upgrade existing ones… but why or how would you allow a different resource to mess things up?
Which source is correct to maintain updated system without corrupting the system? And which command should be used, l’ve had this problem twice now… Sounds like “full-upgrade” should NOT be used as mentioned another post… Can someone clarify what/why???

1 Like

I’ve personally set a custom ring tone for my L5 and it works like a charm.

Let me just search for the link…

1 Like

I followed these instructions here:
https://sspaeth.de/2021/03/customizing-the-librem5-ringtone/

There had been an issue before but it’s been fixed and rolled out.

Hope this helps

1 Like
1 Like

Also calendar does not alert with sound either… PLEASE ALERT SOME ONE THAT CAN FIX… YOU ALL ARE WARNED DO NOT USE A FULL-UPGRADE!!!
Reverting back to Gluegle spy machine til can get help to fix this, very disappointed in this and software updates!!!
Dave

1 Like

Maybe an issue on PA Pineline output, reinstall it may fix it. Also Purism it has an Arsenal of Scriptish to test anything…(kudos for purism).

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

I suggest a reflash in that case. That would confirm that the phone can be gotten back to a working state.

Also, I suggest periodic backup (all the time) and a backup before a major upgrade. That of course applies to any computer.

Yeah, don’t do full-upgrade.

2 Likes

Testing through the terminal the phone ring tone works good volume, as well as alarm clock and timer. Still nothing on speaker tests… dead but highlights when buttons clicked.

2 Likes

Carlos, what is PA Pineline output and where can I locate download for reinstall?

1 Like

Is PA the phone app?
? Proper term used to reinstall using terminal?

1 Like

rm -rf ~/.config/pulse && sudo apt reinstall pulseaudio

2 Likes

PA == Pulseaudio

2 Likes

Thanks for info and help, solved last night reinstalled gnome-phone
Works fine but the speaker test still not working.

1 Like

For me, it worked to remove the ~/.config/pulse directory and then reboot, apparently then the files ni there are recreated with some default settings that work. After that, ringtone for incoming calls works again, as well as other audio things like alarm clock sound which was also broken before. Thanks @carlosgonz :+1:

However I still don’t know why the problem appeared and what the difference was between the working and not working settings.

I did save the old files before removing them, like this:

cp -r ~/.config/pulse saved_dot_config_pulse_files
rm -rf ~/.config/pulse

and was hoping to see something by doing a diff between new and old afterwards, but it looks like the files are in some binary format so that was not so easy to do.

There are five files in the ~/.config/pulse directory, with long names starting with something cryptic and then filename endings like this:

[...]-card-database.tdb
[...]-default-sink
[...]-default-source
[...]-device-volumes.tdb
[...]-stream-volumes.tdb

If anyone here knows how to look at the contents of those files, to get a meaningful diff between new and old versions of those five files?

2 Likes

sudo apt install tdb-tools

tdbdump xxx.tdb

tdb == trivial database. It is used by Samba (which is where I have encountered it).

Unfortunately, while that will move you forward, that won’t fully answer your actual question (because the key values are themselves somewhat opaque, at least in the one that I looked at).

3 Likes

Thanks, using that I can dump old and new files and look at differences.

Here are some things that differ in the “stream-volumes” tdb file (there are other differences also in addition to these):

old:

key(33) = "source-output-by-media-role:phone"
data(13) = "B\020m\00v\00100N0N"

key(30) = "sink-input-by-media-role:phone"
data(13) = "B\020m\00v\00100N0N"

key(30) = "sink-input-by-media-role:event"
data(93) = "B\021m\02\01\02v\02\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00101talsa_output.platform-sound.HiFi__hw_L5__sink\001talsa_card.platform-sound\00"

new:

key(33) = "source-output-by-media-role:phone"
data(13) = "B\020m\00v\00000N0N"

key(30) = "sink-input-by-media-role:phone"

key(30) = "sink-input-by-media-role:event"

This got me thinking that maybe it got confused by me having connected headphones earlier, maybe the ringtone was sent to the headphone jack (even though headphones were no longer connected).

I won’t dig into it more now, but it’s good to know that it can be viewed in that way. Thanks!

2 Likes

Also my sound sometimes get messed up. I have this forum post bookmarked to fix it.

Maybe it would be useful to have somewhere in the gnome-settings a “reset audio” functionality to do this. This would be easier for non-technical users. What do you think about this suggestion? Should I create somewhere a request for this?

3 Likes