No replacement parts for broken hardware?

I totally agree that not being able to get the parts sucks, but it’s worth pointing out that most of System76’s laptops are barebones models from Clevo, whereas Purism designs its own laptops, which means it has very small production runs and can’t get replacement parts very easily.

Ideally Purism would order extra parts when it makes another batch of laptops, but this costs extra and Purism will likely lose money stocking parts that it may never be able to sell. I looked at this same issue, and decided to buy a Thinkpad instead of a Librem 13, because I know that I can get Thinkpad parts on eBay.

Another solution is to have a 3rd party company that collects used Librem 13/15 which are broken for scavenging parts in order to set them on eBay.

The headphone jack needs to be replaced on my machine. I’ve contacted Librem about obtaining the IO board for the headphone jack and they don’t have one in stock which kind of surprised me because my Librem is the current model. I’ve also contacted them about a replacement headphone jack (I suppose this part can be easily obtained but I could be wrong) so I can get someone to solder it back on the board but I haven’t gotten a response. I have no audio right now. Slow communications and lack of replacement parts will make me choose a different company next time.

Considering the open-source nature and mission of Purism, why is there not a parts section on the web store? I get there is risk in stocking extra parts that may never sell, but that does go with running a hardware company.

2 Likes

Fair enough but as was already pointed out almost everyone selling Linux laptops uses Clevo OEM reference models.

Purism has a lot on their plate and I believe for them to reach the goals they have, having a working phone helps them get there in a way a laptop doesn’t.

That said I really hope that once that rush abides they will put stock into getting parts only they can produce. There is no value being able to repair a Librem if you can’t get the parts to do so.

I love my L13 but would be beyond disappointed to have it break and not be able to fix it.

3 Likes

Do you know if it is referenced anywhere which Clevo models the Librem laptops are based off of? I went through all of the models on the Clevo site and could not find any that seemed to match with any reasonable variance.

Purism laptops are not based on Clevo models.

4 Likes

I could have sworn I remember reading in one of these many threads that the case is a custom variant of a Clevo case… but I could certainly be wrong.

If I am wrong, all the more reason to have spare parts in the Purism store :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Their lack of voicing things irks me. But i have already invested in a Librem 5, and i really hope all goes well. Hopefully in the future they figure things out and get extra parts in stock for their products which can be purchased easily on their website.

1 Like

I was saying every other Linux laptop (most of them) with the exception of Purism laptops uses Clevo models.

1 Like

Wow, this is an old thread. If anyone else needs parts that Purism doesn’t stock, you can almost always get what you need at Digi-Key or Mouser. They won’t have something like a replacement case, but they should have headphone jacks, speakers, switches, and probably replacements for a lot of the other components used in the Librem laptops and phone.

Is there documenation available for their laptops? If I could have an exact part number, then I could possibly locate the part.

This is the closest thing to documentation I’m aware of:

https://wiki.puri.sm/hw

You won’t be able to find schematics because Purism is contractually bound not to publish them (the motherboards are Intel reference designs, IIRC). Usually you can either identify a part by a number printed on it or by filtering all available products by dimensions, # of pins, etc.

Thanks, but they didn’t have any documention for the librem 15.

Here is the board where the headphone jack was.

Was it between the USB port and the wide port, where the 3 holes are?

Do you remember if it was a through-hole or a surface mount component?

Having an nVidia GPU is not a requirement. So not “all”.

Specifically,

• in the low end laptops, a GPU is absent and not orderable (i.e. Intel integrated graphics only), while in the high end laptops, a GPU is present and required with the order (and will be nVidia).

• in the low end desktop, a GPU is an option (choice of Intel integrated graphics or AMD or nVidia), while in the high end desktops, a GPU is required (AMD or nVidia - and you can configure some truly humungus computers if your budget is unlimited :slight_smile: )

If someone is desperate for sound, you can buy a cheap USB device that gives you a headphone port (3.5mm analogue audio out). Sure it’s not as convenient having to carry around that extra bits and pieces with the laptop but …

It is annoying that damaging the built-in headphone port, takes out the internal speakers too. Maybe that is some design feedback for Purism.

Yes, it was between the SD card slot and usb port.

I don’t recall.

Looks like a pretty standard form factor.

There are only a couple of through-hole options and from the pictures they’re obviously not the right size. The 3-pad surface mount connectors look like they should match up to the three pads where the jack used to be in your first picture.

A more detailed picture:

IMG_7155

So it looks like it’s a 6-conductor jack? Those seem to be much harder to find. I wonder if all of the pins are supposed to be used or if there are some extras that aren’t intended to be connected in the Librem design.

Do you have the old part for reference? If not, can anyone with a working jack post a picture of how theirs is attached?