No TOR on Purebrowser?

Hello,
I have just made a fresh installation of PureOS, and using Purebrowser I notice I’m not behind TOR.
Last time I had used PureOS was more than a year ago (2.0) and if I remember well it had TOR by default.
Did I do something wrong with the installation or do I have to do install it myself?

1 Like

By default no, you need to set up PureBrowser for tor (which is started by default).

1 Like

What?! No TOR. This is info that I need to know. TOR is the King when it comes to Anonymity. How about Brave Browser from the GitHub boys?

Or how about the use of tails from USB stick? Well no, I don’t yet have one and have never yet been in The Deep.

Install tor, configure it, and set Purebrowser to use Tor proxy.
Tor doesn’t guarantee privacy.

About Brave, it’s based on Chromium and I think is nothing special.
From wikipedia:
“It claims to block website trackers and remove intrusive Internet advertisements, while inserting its own. The browser also claims to improve online privacy by sharing less data with advertising customers.”

Still sharing data with advertising customers…

2 Likes

Everyone, I just wanna add something real quick. Tor, is not spelled TOR. Okay :stuck_out_tongue:

"Note: even though it originally came from an acronym, Tor is not spelled “TOR”. Only the first letter is capitalized. In fact, we can usually spot people who haven’t read any of our website (and have instead learned everything they know about Tor from news articles) by the fact that they spell it wrong. "
-Taken from TorProject FAQ

1 Like

I’m a big supporter of Brave, but not for privacy. Sure, it eliminates the crud involved in third-party advertisers (and your identifiable info being shared among many corporations), but the browser itself is just a platform built for publishers (not users) and its tokenized ad platform. You can opt-out, and supposedly you won’t be tracked, but the browser itself is designed to track you down to mouse movements, so it’s hard to trust it even with an “optimal” privacy config.

As for Tor, just download it yourself. This is a Debian-based OS. What’s the problem?

1 Like

BTW to add to this thread: Configuring Tor for another browser is really not recommend. If you want to use Tor, use the Tor Browser.
The makers of Tor totally advise against using other browsers, as it is important that each Tor User has the same fingerprint, which is just not possible if you use a different browser.

1 Like