No WiFi adapter found

Hi folks.
I’ve done everything I can, but still couldn’t get WiFi connection.

Located Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection

Downloaded firmware: iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz for my Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100AGN, extracted it properly (even in several places).

Trying to install in terminal, but see this:
$ sudo apt-get install iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz’
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz’

Tried several other packages, but still works nothing.
So, need your support, guide how to allocate that WiFi Adapter.

I searched the firmware “iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz” and found this guide which may help.

From the guide linked above:

Decompress iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz and copy iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode to /lib/firmware and /lib/firmware/kernel-version, where kernel-version is the version of the new kernel compiled (in my case 2.6.24.3-wireless). I am not sure if it is needed this second copy. Perhaps with only one of them is sufficient.

That’s Ubuntu, not my OS. Might work Debian, but not Ubuntu. I had Linux Mint previously and all worked properly. I do like this OS, but still can’t setup WiFi connection. Need real solution.

Hi Puri888,
I would recommend trying the following steps. This worked for me on my Debian install.

1. Extract the tar.gz file. From the terminal, in the directory where the file is located:
    tar -xf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz
    This will give you a file with a .ucode extention.

2. Copy that file to /lib/firmware, don’t forget to use sudo
    sudo cp ./<filename>.ucode /lib/firmware

3. Reboot your computer.

Like I said, this worked for me on Debian. Good luck!

Hi, CyborgPenguin.

Followed your guide, but worked nothing.

$ sudo cp ./iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11 /lib/firmware
[sudo] password for Rich:
cp: cannot stat ‘./iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11’: No such file or directory

And here is the ucode file is waiting for get installed.

The system basically doesn’t see the driver. May be something wrong with Terminal?

OS and all Apps get updated, so…

What do you think?

Well, I’ve got something…
Just downloaded another “soft” directly through terminal, which I did several times on Linux Mint.

On attempt to install it:

sudo apt-get install “soft”

The the answer is the same:

E: Unable to locate package “soft”

What does it mean?

Found the problem, as I believe…
I have a duplicate lib/firmware folders, which don’t perform installation.

Found required folders in roots, but somehow I don’t have permission to Extract into those folders. So, as I think, that is the problem.

Well, do you know how to get that permission?

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. If you extract using the command line, you can put sudo in front of your command. Doing this allows you to run the command with root permissions.

Have done it all the time, sudo, sudo apt-get and other variations.
I can’t Extract driver into roots, so when I trying to install from Command line, the system can’t find software.

~$ sudo apt-get install iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.a.11.tar.gz
E: Unable to locate package iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.a.11.tar.gz
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.a.11.tar.gz’
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.a.11.tar.gz’

Tried to play with permissions, nothing helps.

Screenshot from 2021-10-18 20-22-58

You need to copy the file inside the iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11 directory, not the directory itself.

Hi,
The apt-get install command is used to install packages from the repository. Specifically, DEB packages. What you have is not a DEB file, it is a gzipped tar file. A tar file is a type of archive file, meaning it is a file that can hold one or more other files/directories. Think of it as similar to a WinZip file. You first need to unroll, or extract, the contents of the tar file. You do that with the tar -xf command I gave earlier.

Looking at the screenshot you uploaded in an earlier post, it looks like the tar file contained a directory. I am guessing that the .ucode file you need is located inside that directory. From a command line, change into that directory and do a listing to find the file that ends in .ucode. You can then copy that file into the /lib/firmware directory.

I hope that makes sense. If any of it is confusing, please let me know and I will try to do a better job of explaining.

Hello!

That’s the problem, I can’t move or Extract in /lib/firmware or just /lib/ directory.

I tried to change permissions, but not sure it’s correct.

Ok. It is not the permissions of the iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode file that is causing problems. It is the permissions on the /lib/firmware directory. As a standard user, you are not allowed to write to that directory; you need to have root permissions to do that.

From the screenshots, it looks like you are using a GUI application to try to move that file. In order to do that, you would have had to launch the GUI application with root permissions.

The easiest way to move that file is to do it from the command line.

sudo cp ~/Downloads/iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11/iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode /lib/firmware

That should do it for you.

1 Like

Hi, CyborgPenguin!

Awesome!!!

It works, at finely!!!

I’m writing to you using WiFi connection.

Thanks a lot!

With respect and gratitude,
Stephan Rich!

Awesome! I am glad to hear it.

1 Like