Observation: Although I've gotten several newer laptops since, Librem 13 still runs Linux the best

Yes my Librem 13 has had issues and still has a screen issue, but as far as running Linux stable and reliably no other laptop I have does the trick, to include the new Framework Laptop.

If the Librem 13 would have been as reliable hardware wise as it runs Linux, I would have stayed in the Purism wheel house. I would have bought the Librem 14.

In so many ways Purism is so close.

What problems have you had with other laptops?

Hm, I don’t quite understand that reasoning. Supposedly the L14 is better in many aspects (e.g. hinge. I only had L13 & L15 without issue so I can’t compare)
So, presumably they improved on your critique points, but you didn’t buy it because the predecessor didn’t have those improvements? In that case they couldn’t even win you back by improving?
Or are you doubting that the L14 improves on the issues you had?

1 Like

“Although I’ve gotten several newer laptops since, Librem 13…”

Are you particularly rough on laptops or something? :rofl:

I’m still using a Linux OEM laptop I bought in 2012.
(OK, the plastic around the hinge is cracked, but it still works fine.)

Please elaborate on your Framework laptop deficiencies, since I was seriously considering buying one if by 1 Nov I don’t have a SPECIFIC delivery date for my Librem 14 which I ordered on 1 May.

FWIW, my System76 17" Bonobo laptop that I bought 8 years ago still runs Ubuntu just fine as I type this on it, although it’s more of a desktop replacement due to its size and weight. :wink:

My issues on the Framework stem from installing Windows 10 first and then trying to install Linux. If you install Linux first and only there are SEVERAL distros that just work out of the box completely. So the dig is not on the Framework it is all modern hardware and all works on those distros. My complications revolve around bitlocker and secure boot.

It is an absolutely amazing laptop! If Purism and Framework ever joined forces I’d be a constant customer for sure.

Nope! Just always looking for something that can do it better. I still have a X220T and X230, for example that run just as good as when I got them. The Librem 13 is the ONLY laptop I’ve bought that has had issues. If you were to look at my Librem 13 you’d not see a single blemish on it. I’ve never dropped it. Never shaken it violently, etc.

I think the tension from the hinges simply pulled my video cable slightly out, and because of this the screen does not come on without wiggling the display. I’ve bought a replacement lid, because the screen is glued and there is non way to really just push the cable in, but the replacement has a ton of spare wires everywhere and no guide to replacing the display. As such, it just sits there.

I want to believe. But in light of the Framework laptop, I have to ask, what is the point of the Librem 14 for me? I mean I do like the aesthetics of the Librem 14 more than the Framework.

In contrast though everything in the Framework is made, by design, to be repairable or replaceable. Plus it has Thunderbolt 4 that just works on Linux or Windows.

But saying ALL of this I always come back to the Librem 13, and I always lament that it didn’t work more reliably, because I really liked it!

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering if defective hinge issues (on any laptop) can be somewhat avoided by always lifting the lid from the center instead of the corner. Seems like side-lifting might place more stress on a hinge.

Yeah I always am mindful of such things when opening the lid. I don’t do it from a corner, but always from a place where stress from opening will be equally distributed. Didn’t seem to help.

2 Likes

Can you not turn bitlocker off? I use a ahem modified version of windows, and I don’t bother with bitlocker. I use veracrypt to encrypt the system partition and I’ve never had any problems with dual-booting. Can you disable bitlocker and use that instead?

Yeah I disabled Bitlocker, but not Secure boot for the install. I was able to register key for secure boot that Ubuntu provided. I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up on the Windows install so I’m leaving Secure boot on. For some reason, I need to keep with a pretty standard version of Windows. I do love the ahem Windows you are talking about though. Hahaha!

The only downside, so far, to leave Secure Booth on is that hibernation is not available via the kernel with it on. So eventually I’ll be turning it off, but that’ll be when I’ve decided I really can do everything I need either through wine or a VM.

1 Like

I do wonder if my tightening the hinge screws could have contributed to it. I’ve tried loosening them as well, but am worried about making the mount point brittle.

In general the Librem 13 was very well liked. I remember posting here a few months after having it, about how happy I was with it, and how robust I thought it was.

BIOS kill switch, neutralized ME, Coreboot, TPM, security-focused, flawlessly runs Qubes, does not run Windows, and probably more.

1 Like

Coreboot is coming, it has a TPM, has kill switches for mic and camera, takes a minute to fully remove the wifi card, as well as any other part of the laptop, is upgradable to include new mainboard with chipset and CPU, gives you the freedom to truly run whatever OS you want (to include Qubes), is intended to last you for as long as you want, and probably more.

As you can see it is a subjective question.

1 Like

Librem 13 was also intended to last forever, but Purism made a mistake with the hinge. Who knows which hardware problems may occur with time with Framework… Purism at least (it seems) learned from its mistakes.

1 Like

Find repair-ability comments on any of the Purism product listings today. The material point here, intent means nothing if parts aren’t available. The same can be said about Framework if they fail.

The screen on the Librem 13 is glued. fixing a display cable requires an entire new lid with display.

In contrast, replacing the display on the Framework requires a screw driver and the replacement LED. That’s it. No new housing, no heat gun and spugger.

I’m not trying to bad mouth Purism here. I’m simply saying that Purism’s goal is privacy and security, and Frameworks is longevity, repair-ability, and current technology.

The best part? The Framework chassis is made to be upgraded. In 2 years, I might not even have an Intel based system, and instead buying a whole new laptop I will just buy a new mainboard for a fraction of the cost.

2 Likes