One L5 unwilling to update

I own two L5. The first in the list below recently updated to 5.17 , the other is not, why?

L5 number 1:

purism@pureos:~$ apt list --installed 2>/dev/null | grep '^linux-image-.*-librem5'
linux-image-5.16.0-1-librem5/now 5.16.19pureos1 arm64 [installed,local]
linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5/byzantium,now 5.17.3pureos1 arm64 [installed,automatic]

L5 number 2 (the “unwilling one”):

purism@pureos:~$ apt list --installed 2>/dev/null | grep '^linux-image-.*-librem5'
linux-image-5.16.0-1-librem5/byzantium,now 5.16.11pureos2 arm64 [installed,automatic]
purism@pureos:~$
purism@pureos:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for purism:
Get:1 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium InRelease [5,851 B]
Get:2 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium-updates InRelease [4,580 B]
Get:3 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium-security InRelease [4,581 B]
Fetched 15.0 kB in 2s (7,404 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.

Are your apt-sources exactly the same between the two devices? You might want to post those for clarity.

disclaimer: I have not received my L5 yet. (May 2018 order)

1 Like

As I barely recall (while relatively unrelated here and/or definitely not to this issue related), try to find out by yourself with something like this:
sudo apt update
apt list linux-image-librem5 -a −− should answer your question here
sudo apt upgrade linux-image-librem5
apt list linux-image-librem5
sudo apt-mark auto linux-image-librem5
apt list linux-image-librem5
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
uname -r

Otherwise take a shortcut:
sudo apt install linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5
sudo apt-mark auto linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5
apt list linux-image-5.16*
apt list linux-image-5.17*

This has been an intermittent issue for some installs. We still don’t know what causes it, but it can be fixed (for me works only temporarily) by removing the sources cache in /var.

1 Like

Could you please specify what exactly to remove there. Thanks.

Sorry, I don’t currently have the info at hand.

1 Like

Take this steps (if you don’t mind):
cd /var/cache/apt
ls -la
sudo apt clean
ls -la
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Did not changed anything.

This gives:

# apt install linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 14.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 78.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Err:1 https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium/main arm64 linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5 arm64 5.17.0pureos1
  404  Not Found [IP: 138.201.228.45 443]
E: Failed to fetch https://repo.pureos.net/pureos/pool/main/l/linux-next-librem5/linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5_5.17.0pureos1_arm64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 138.201.228.45 443]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

There is/was a bug whereby the releases file does not get updated, the current workaround is to remove the contents of /var/lib/apt/lists (or for the more cautious, move it out the way) and rerun apt update which will rebuild the releases file…

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists{,.old}
sudo apt update

Now try upgrading through whatever means you usually use. If all went well you can remove the old lists directory…

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists.old
4 Likes

I just noticed that you attempted to install a specific version of this package, this will 404 as that version of that package does not exist in the repository. I had incorrectly attributed the 404 error you were seeing to an out of date releases file so removing the contents of the lists directly as detailed above may resolve the issue but it may not.

Have you actually checked to see if the Librem 5 thinks there is an upgrade available?

In the first post there’s a gap in the terminal output, I believe the output below the gap is phone #2.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that. However, the output merely shows what is not installed, not that there is or is not an upgrade available.

There are various methods available to determine if there is an upgrade available one such is as @Quarnero suggested earlier in thread for example…

loki@sikozu:~$ apt list linux-image-librem5 -a
Listing... Done
linux-image-librem5/byzantium 5.17.3pureos1 arm64 [upgradable from: 5.13.19pureos5]
linux-image-librem5/now 5.13.19pureos5 arm64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.17.3pureos1]

This shows what is installed and also that there is an upgrade available.

linux-image-*-librem5 packages are a dependency of the linux-image-librem5 meta package, in this case, it’s the meta package that should be looked at not the dependency.

1 Like

Yes, we are just late (just checked PureOS repo), as Purism Team in the meantime changed, actually positively moved forward. This one is not available any more:

Yet, @guru, output to related package, to its full name, will tell you exactly what to do/install:
apt list linux-image-5.18*

Please note: It is as of today available as rc4 so you do not need to rush.

Please repeat above slowly (read if two .bin files inside of /var/cache/apt). Those will come back after: sudo apt update.

This did it. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks! Below output is for your as-of-now orientation (nothing special):

I see that it says “All packages are up to date” at the bottom. Is that not good enough? (I understand the issue in this thread has been resolved, so this is for my own information)

1 Like

You are correct, it probably is sufficient enough in this case. I completely missed that part of the output. Although I should be using apt my muscle memory has me stuck on apt-get, apt-get update doesn’t give any feedback on whether or not any upgrades are available which I suspect is why I overlooked it and didn’t pick up on it in the output of apt.

2 Likes

Usually yes, but today is just another day that I’m confused for some good reason as this linked package needs to be renamed:
linux-image-librem5_5.17.5pureos1_arm64.deb
/main/l/linux-librem5/linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5_5.17.5pureos1_arm64.deb

Correct/current/working one (for all):
linux-image-librem5_5.17.3pureos1_arm64.deb
/main/l/linux-librem5/linux-image-librem5_5.17.3pureos1_arm64.deb

And Purism repository maintainers do not need proof from my side anyway, just this note of this very current situation (as-of-20220504).

EDIT:

Related, as kindly recommended, command works as it should: