Opinion poll: Which batch would you choose?

If I order a Librem 5 today, September 8th, 2019, how can I get any estimation of which batch will be shipped to me? Is Evergreen full? Are there still openings in Aspen? Everything is relative to the demand which only Purism can see. Have they communicated anything about this topic to us? I imagine that after the first good review article comes out, the demand will skyrocket.

2 Likes

I am probably going with Fir because it has a better processor.

2 Likes

Evergreen is not full. Iā€™m pretty sure everybody who orders now or ordered within the last few months will end up in Evergreen, and that batch will be about as big as theyā€™ll assume it has to be with all orders coming in before it will be produced.

Nobody had a chance to give up their Aspen slot yet, as that mail was not sent around yet. But ordering now will never give you Aspen, as everybody who ordered before you has a higher priority to pick Aspen.

4 Likes

it will also last ā€œforeverā€ since the first batches are metal casing-ed.

2 Likes

iā€™m probably going for a few of those as well after i get one L5v1 first in q2-2020 (i doubt iā€™ll get mine in octomber-early november this year - if thatā€™s not happening then i donā€™t want mine delivered in the cold period so iā€™ll just root for the early backers and hope my q10 doesnā€™t ā€œdieā€ on me)

A few? How many phones do you need?

2 Likes

YES

as many as i can get :smiley:

6 Likes

Letā€™s hope that is a lot, it helps keep Purism alive long enough to make my Fir Librem 5.

But what are you going to do with those phones? Are you going to use them as spares? Or for modding?

3 Likes

Just slap a ā€œChina Exportā€ mark on there and itā€™ll feel like itā€™s CE-certified!

2 Likes

I wonder why Dogwood is so unpopular. Seems like more people want to cancel then take Dogwood. Maybe because it is released right before Evergreen which means that if the Dogwooders would wait just a little bit longer then they would get the full product instead of an unfinished product.

Itā€™s probably just not anyoneā€™s first choice. A lot of the Aspen voters, myself included, would be happy to get as early of a release as they could. People who donā€™t want one of the ā€œprototypeā€ releases are probably going to vote for Evergreen or Fir. Iā€™m willing to bet more people would rather be in Dogwood than cancel their orders.

5 Likes

You are probably right. I think that most people who voted on something different than cancelling would prefer Dogwood over cancelling. At least I know that I voted Fir and I definitely prefer Dogwood over cancelling.

I ordered October 12, 2017. Wow XD I wonder if that manages to put me into Aspen :thinking: Probably Birch? That was shortly before the original preorder ended. Fir is tempting for the new processor, and whatā€™s another year after all this time? :joy:

3 Likes

If Iā€™ll be in a late batch, I am evaluating to get, for the time being, an Xperia X or XA2 and put Sailfish on it, and go directly for Fir. I love the UI, itā€™s not the best in term of privacy, but at least itā€™s better than android. It depends how I feel when the Purism batch allocation email arrives.

2 Likes

well i wonā€™t say for all of them but some are probably going to be gifts. i know some young minds who could use them for education and for beeing better ā€œcomradesā€ where i live.

5 Likes

There is nothing wrong with those who chose to be the first to use the phone. I am sure that it will be very workable. I chose for Evergreen myself as I do not believe that I want to update software in Terminal or deal with modifications to HW created by a need to ā€˜work out the kinksā€™. I am not faulting Librem here as companies such as GM, Ford, VW in cars, Samsung and Apple in Smartphones and Computers and others have all had some kinks to work out, often with much more experience in the field.
It is no sin to be a latecomer to the field to have fewer problems that need address, though certainly it may make me seem a bit wimpy or at least overly-cautious to some.
I am looking to the long game here. I presume that my device may be outdated on its receipt, but that it will reflect a mature build requiring less adjustments and that is fine with me.

7 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to hear from the 4% who decided to cancel their orders.
What was the reason?:

1. Economics (you needed the money back)
  2. Case is too thick. You donā€™t want to carry around a brick.
  3. Need a new phone now and canā€™t wait any longer.
  4. Want higher spec hardware.
  5. Feel that Purism misled you or didnā€™t communicate well
  6. Lost interest in the project.
  7. Donā€™t believe that Purism will deliver what was promised.
  8. Other
3 Likes
  1. Clicked wrong button. LOL
  2. Other
4 Likes

Maybe they are terrorists. Terrorists must use an Apple, Android, or Windows device so that the NSA can catch them. But I am no terrorist so I do not need a spy brick.

4 Likes

my first reaction when i found out after i insta-backed-the-project with my $ that the L5s battery was only user-removable and not hot-swapable/reloadable was ā€œaw hell no gimmeā€™ my lions backā€ after i got the refund i calmed myself and went in ā€œfull forceā€ with a couple k lions back and here i am happy as a ā€œlionā€ :wink:

1 Like