OSX->Linux Fat32 4G Limit Workarounds?

Anyone have some workarounds to move files larger than 4g from Apple file system to Linux?

you can try zipping the >4gb file into smaller chunks, placing them on your fat32 drive, then unzipping them on the target machine

Connect them into one network and run in a directory with no other files:

python3 -m http.server
2 Likes

Is there a way to do this networking direct with the computers and not moving the data over the internet?

If you run a HTTP server on a computer in your local network, then navigate from another computer to the local IP address of the destination, the transport will happen over your local network, not some bogus internet loop [i think].

you can also install a SSH server and then scp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:path/bigfile .

1 Like
  • Connect them to the same router (one you don’t consider being part of internet)
  • Connect them directly and wait for them to get autoconfigured/fallback addresses (not always enabled, the Python command I gave doesn’t use ipv6)
  • Connect them directly and configure static addresses on the same network
  • Directly, and give one a static address plus a DHCP server, and let the other use DHCP
2 Likes

Or use exFat on your USB Stick/Drive (Formate it with exFat) if you have a Linux Kernel above Version 5.4 and or Apple Systems above Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5.

1 Like

Why not use scp on the OS X box (open terminal and use scp from there) to copy them over to the linux one? If they are on the same local network (as would be the case if they use the same wifi), all you need to know is the local ip of the linux box, the username and a password.

Note: I only used OS X briefly in Snow Leopard times. I don’t know if later versions still ship with GNU command line tools and a terminal access.

1 Like

I use scp, the secure copy over ssh. But you have to set up sshd, use a secure crypto login without password and start the sshd service.

Its good to run sshd on a different Port than 22, so you have to use -P with scp and -p with ssh. Or use a script like fail2ban which shut down an ip after 5 or 10 tries per minute. Alternative is to use port knocking to open a port after a series… of packages for some ports, like a password. Or you could ban that ssh Port just for some special IPs (like routing over VPN).

But long talk short, yes on an LAN Ip it should be secure. :wink:

I am a oldschool, offline one.

1 Like