PCB hardware changes regarding transition Aspen and Birch

Hello,
Could you please state some details regarding the state of hardware and pcb for Aspen and Birch. I am especially interested in the pcb state, what are the optimisations? Are there any improvements regarding heat/energy consumption? Or are the changes of the pcb targeting manufacturing and cost optimisation?

Also where can I find the schematics? I have been scanning through the repos but did not find it, perhaps that would answer my questions.

I would greatly appreciate some details in order to understand the hardware of Aspen and Birch. Thank you again and congratulations - very excited about the Librem Phone!

Julian

1 Like

I had almost the same question - I emailed Purism Support & in summary:

1. There should not be any difference between the pcb of Birch versus subsequent batches.
  2. Not 100%, but it is very likely that the pcb of Aspen to Birch will also be unchanged.

Does not seem that currently there are any pcb changes required.

3 Likes

They haven’t yet posted the schematics for the PCB.

If you install KiCAD 5, you can look at the schematics for the Dev Kit:

Here are some screenshots that I took of the Dev Kit in KiCAD

The 3D viewer in KiCAD is pretty cool.

1 Like

There are no planned changes, but they might discover something and need to change the PCB. Aspen and Birch are basically prototypes for testing. I would love to get a prototype, but some people want a finished product and are better off waiting.

1 Like