Poll: Keyboad-Layout Librem 14

Does your so far used layout have a big Enter or a small one? That’s the primary difference between ISO (UKish) and ANSI (US).

On my Librem 13 I have a UK-layout, which works well for me.

So most probably you’d be most comfortable with an ISO-Big-Enter UK-Layout or even better Norwegian, i’d guess.

1 Like

Yes, but I do not mind the small enter and I do not mind the labels on the keys. My only concern is that I may have to perform awkward key-combinations for typing very common accents or characters in Norwegian or Danish. Do you think that will be the case?

I actually don’t have an idea and would suggest you search for pictures of US versus UK / Norwegian keyboard-layouts to get an impression.

I found layouts for the Librem 13. The US keyboard has one extra key in the qw-row, whereas the UK keyboard has one extra in the as- and one extra in the zx-rows. When switching to Norwegian or Danish layout on the US keyboard, I do not know where I will find the characters ‘*’ and ‘’’ … This worries me a bit.

Heck, I’d love a programmer dvorak, but I think that is unlikely. Would just settle for a blank replacement keyboard that I could take down to my local maker space and laser the paint off to make my own layout.

1 Like

Done. Added +1 Dvorak/Blank

I am seriously interested in the Librem 14, but the adscence of the local keys for scandinavian language (åäöø) and for german language (äöü) is a real con in my opinion. I have no experience of Linux yet so I am unaware of how to handle the absence of these keys. I just know from windows that these letters con be done by writing a code each time I would need the letter. I guess after a while I will have learned the codes, but when writing plenty I suppose it would be a lot of more keystrokes to be done, which seemes to be a disadvantage. Ther are of course other suppliers of linux machines, but non with the security and privacy goals of tehe Librem machines. I find it difficult to make up my mind…

1 Like

Yes, it can be done that way under Linux as well. More specifically, entering special characters by entering their Unicode code point numbers. So, for example, pressing/releasing Ctrl-Shift-u, pressing/releasing f, pressing/releasing 6, pressing/releasing space gives me: ö

However that is not very user-friendly.

Somewhat more user-friendly is to use compose sequences. On my computer, I have defined “compose” as right-alt. So, pressing/releasing the right hand Alt key and then pressing/releasing o and then pressing/releasing " gives me: ö

That seem to be suitible solution. Thanks for the suggestion. Then I don’t have to be too “afraid” of an investment in the Librem 14. :slight_smile:

please make this real and i buy :money_mouth_face:

Please keep in mind that i’m just a common customer of Purism products and in no way related to Purism. I just started this poll to catch a certain tendency. Perhaps something that’s read by Purism and somewhat taken into regard… :wink:

1 Like

great rant, yeah i fully adhere! and ditch that f****ing caps lock key!!
and i have EXACTLY the same problem, the cursor keys were my pinky expects the shift key let me to the solution of having to carry along a USB kbd + the laptop… (also for the fact that i vastly prefer a german kbd), yeah please take into consideration the guys who can type blindly!!

oh and another one: ctrl and fn are very close, i am a vi user, well guess what happens if you type fast, have still the fn key pressed (thinking of ctrl) and hit the esc key?
well… your laptop goes to sleep… just perfect…
please put that sleep mode under F2 which has no fn assignemnt and leave the ESC key alone!

2 Likes

Only other layout options would include more media keys. Maybe some gaming macro keys. :space_invader:

Just saw a clip on Youtube of a guy who unboxed a Tuxedo computer he ordered with a keyboard layout of windings symbols instead of ordinary letters. On Tuxedo’s website there are only diffrerent language layouts to chose between, but it is mentioned that they would make individual adaptions to wishes if possible. Probably that would require some additional deutsch-Marks to be paid, but it is still an option provided by the manufacturer. Just pointing out the direction to go with my whole arm :wink:

1 Like

Is this a typo for Wingdings?

Picture please. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for a link to Youtube : https://youtu.be/nidnvlt6lzw
I suppose he ordered it just for fun. It cannot be useful in any way…

(bad resolution, just a screen shot from Youtube) :grimacing:

2 Likes

If you can type blind on the keyboard, why not, laugh :laughing:

Check out this link: https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/Individual-Keyboards.tuxedo#

1 Like

Wow …free service :heart_eyes: …so what’s the problem with getting an individual keyboard layout for the Librem 14? Or at least different language layouts? :thinking:

1 Like