Poll: Keyboad-Layout Librem 14

So they will even do one-off engravings from a vector graphics file that you supply. The possibilities for useless fun are endless … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just remember that altering the keycaps (whether with stick-ons or engraving or …) is only half the battle. The other half is to get the key to generate the right keycode so that the right character etc. is produced.

1 Like

Can’t you remap in software after the fact?

1 Like

Yes, definitely. You either change the generated keycode (fix it) or remap the keycode. But something has to be done over and above just changing the keycaps. So the proud owner of the Wingdings keyboard hasn’t finished the job unless pressing a key with a Wingding character on it produces that character.

Remapping the keycode can be a bit painful if you need the key to work in the preboot environment i.e. before the operating system is loaded and has reached the point in its execution of remapping keycodes, or in a live boot environment that doesn’t have that remapping.

I can see why someone wanted to build a fully programmable keyboard where each key is an eInk display, thereby allowing one procedure to take care of both sides of this. If this is an affordable keyboard then it is a dream right now. :frowning:

Who looks at their keyboard when typing anyway? I’ve used keyboards that don’t even have letters painted on them anymore. lol

2 Likes

Not having a clue what I am talking about as I am (still) a non-linux user, I would presume that PureOS would include different keybaord layouts software-wise. So as another language standard layout would not require any key programing, as I am not aiming for any fancy or funny ancient egyptian symbols layout :laughing:

:+1: for hieroglyphics :rofl:

I had a chat with a colleague who have spent some time in USA, where he was using a physical US-keyboard. He said that it worked out well typing text in Norwegian using Norwegian layout on the US-keyboard. After receiving this piece of information I posted my Librem 14 order. Merry Christmas to everyone!

1 Like

I’d consider the Librem if there were an option for a Swiss keyboard. Without this, the Librem is out of question.

Can you add the Swiss keyobard to the poll?

i wished they had a german layout. They did not, i stil ordered one… i think i could live with the us layout… but than the dissappointments added up…

Swiss 1x added.

@mirkoboll I’m typing on a Librem13 with german keyboard right now. When ordering it, i waited until a german keyboard was available and i’m happy to have done it this way.

If one can get it’s hands on the properly fitting keycaps, then those are interchangeable. Add to that the proper software-mapping and one could have a different keyboard. but pls don’t ask me, where to get those keycaps… :wink:

1 Like

Since I know how to touch type, my dream keyboard always has a trackpoint because then the mouse is just like another key.

1 Like

+1 for Swiss layout

Added… :wink:

I would like Nordic/Danish layout keyboard.

:switzerland: swiss layout +1

waiting only on that to get a librem 14. hopefully this will come up at some point :+1:

That might be a long wait, because there demand for different keyboard layouts is to little to justify such a potentially complex and expensive change.

I encourage you to think about how to use the given hardware layout with a fitting configuration on the software site to be able to type the characters you want without effort. Might be a challenge in a country with three languages. :laughing: Does reto-romanic has special characters?

4 official languages actually although i have no idea about special chars in reto-romanic :sweat_smile:

I understand the demand is rather low, well maybe i’ll take the leap, order a unit and simply learn to type with the us layout, or scramble the keycaps into something close to my usual layout.