Powering the L5 without battery or USB

Did you use the Purism software app to update, or the terminal? (I’ve found that the software app fails often (or at least appears to fail), while the terminal command always succeeds, and more quickly).

2 Likes

I can’t buy a battery since I’m outside US, and the new battery would just last one cycle since it doesn’t charge.

1 Like

No vibration and no LED. I’ve also tried pressing the buttons for at least 30 seconds. Also shorter, I’ve tried all sort of things.

Often I use the terminal too, but this this I used the software center unfortunately. So I couldn’t really see what was happening.

That was what I thought as well, but in my case it doesn’t work. Maybe the USB connector has come lose internally. That could explain my problem, but there’s also other explanations I guess.

I do not think that the Battery is Dead so i guess that your Librem 5 still ship an old Das-uboot Bootloader so i think that by removing the battery then putting back then doing a SuperLongPress_Power_Button(22sec) your Librem 5 will boot again.
If battery is empty plug in the ORIGINAL Librem 5 cable and charger and perform SLP22sec.
And for better performance of L5 do not use it or experiment with another generic charger/cable than ORIGINAL.

Purism Community

I’ve already tried this many times. The battery is dead as in completely empty, not as in broken. The problem is that as it is now my phone doesn’t charge. I was thinking about taking a backup before sending it to repair, but then I have to power it on. Therefore I wanted to know if someone had tried using another power supply than the battery. I’m pretty sure it works but better to at least try to find out first.

Theoretically you could charge the battery externally to the Librem 5. (I mean I have an external charger and this works. It’s theoretical in the sense that you can’t try that unless you have such a charger.)

I have a feeling that even with a fully charged battery things might not work - but you won’t know unless you try.

This might be easier than attempting to wire in an external DC supply.

Why not use an external LiOn charger or some CV/CC power supply (Labornetzteil in Geman) to charge the battery? If there is some hacker-/makerspace/fablab near you they probably have some.

I read on matrix by Angus:

With all of the HKS switches off, a current u-boot and a proper power delivery supply you should be able to boot. Once running you can enable the HKSes again

That’s a start completely without battery. So have you turned HKS off? If that does not work, you may have an outdated u-boot (at least I read the message this way).

Yes I tried that with HKS off and no battery, without getting any life signals from the phone.

That’s what I want to try. I have a power supply, I just wanted to know if I need to connect the third pin.

What external charger to you have? I’m interested in getting one of those.

Are you using ORIGINAL Cable/Charger? if so even if Device do not turning ON with SLP22sec, leave connected to charger over 15 minutes, then try again.

Purism Community

No I don’t, but I’ve tried many cables and chargers with usb pd. Should make no difference.

I’ve unfortunately tried that too.

Thanks for all the help!

Let me redirect this issue to LL Low Level: @dos

Purism Community

1 Like

I had a similar problem with no charging phone. I shut it down before the battery died.
Do the recommended steps: all kill switches off, press volume UP button and hold it, connect your phone with a USB-A to USB-C cable (from any computer for example), hope for the flashing red light, insert battery, once solid red light release volume button.
I had tried it first with the original Librem charger and the original USB-C to USB-C cable and that never worked for me.

Thanks, but I’ve tried that too. Both usb-a and c to usb-c, with all possible different orientations and cables and chargers.

Mine is mentioned here: [MyL5] Australia/New Zealand - #58 by irvinewade

I think they tell me that this will overcharge the battery if done to completion but that doesn’t matter for your purposes. Charge for only 4 hours. That might be about half done if the battery is completely flat to start with. A half-charged battery will be fine to demonstrate whether your problem is non-charging of the battery or is something else.

Do you have a multimeter so that you could verify that the battery is basically flat to start with and verify that the battery is somewhat charged after 4 hours?

1 Like

Third pin is usually temperature sensor, so if you only charge with a low current (like 100 mA), you shouldn’t stress your battery too much.

FYI I had the same issue, phone not charging and unable to boot powered only by USB-C. Not a good sign, I had to RMA.

1 Like

Buy a battery charger, I got a battery charger from China.