Powering the L5 without battery or USB

I had a similar problem with no charging phone. I shut it down before the battery died.
Do the recommended steps: all kill switches off, press volume UP button and hold it, connect your phone with a USB-A to USB-C cable (from any computer for example), hope for the flashing red light, insert battery, once solid red light release volume button.
I had tried it first with the original Librem charger and the original USB-C to USB-C cable and that never worked for me.

Thanks, but I’ve tried that too. Both usb-a and c to usb-c, with all possible different orientations and cables and chargers.

Mine is mentioned here: [MyL5] Australia/New Zealand - #58 by irvinewade

I think they tell me that this will overcharge the battery if done to completion but that doesn’t matter for your purposes. Charge for only 4 hours. That might be about half done if the battery is completely flat to start with. A half-charged battery will be fine to demonstrate whether your problem is non-charging of the battery or is something else.

Do you have a multimeter so that you could verify that the battery is basically flat to start with and verify that the battery is somewhat charged after 4 hours?

1 Like

Third pin is usually temperature sensor, so if you only charge with a low current (like 100 mA), you shouldn’t stress your battery too much.

FYI I had the same issue, phone not charging and unable to boot powered only by USB-C. Not a good sign, I had to RMA.

1 Like

Buy a battery charger, I got a battery charger from China.