Price of phone is so high :(

But it is a desktop!

1 Like

:slight_smile: I guess it is. Pretty cool though I imagine desktops in my mind to be far more powerful. Anyways companies usually start to get a high level of maturity by a third revision. I hope that purism can decrease their prices for the phone in the future once most of the software is out of the way and they made back a majority of their investment in this section.

Yeah I get it, I can see how itā€™ll be out of range for a lot of people even if they do value privacy.

Years from now I hope they can get the price down somehowā€¦ and I do mean years. With the speed at which this stuff apparently moves, itā€™s going to take years of work and investment into Linux phones before they have the quality and ecosystem people expect.

Even 5 years from now Iā€™ll be surprised if Linux phones start getting competitive in the broader market, so I hope Purism is in this for the long haul. For now and a while, I think itā€™s going to be a niche market for enthusiasts and privacy advocates. Hopefully thatā€™s fine, as long as it keeps the gears moving for the companies working on the problem.

Right now with the supply chain screw ups and governments only making things worse (as they usually do), itā€™s almost the worst possible climate for L5. The only thing L5 has going for it is the fact that governments are also destroying privacy at the same time as everything else, so at least there is that.

I see a higher price on many things where consumers pay to avoid some grief, and improve privacy.
IMO, the high price is the cost of not seeing ads, and not being SMIRCā€™ed, Spied-on, Stalked or our rights to privacy not pimped out. I donā€™t like it, but itā€™s the Internet way. I believe the phone companies did this way back when if you didnā€™t want to be listed in the white pages, you paid extra for the privacy. :crazy_face:
s

1 Like

ā€¦ and what an absolute ā€˜scamdalā€™ that is.

You say ā€œdesktop territoryā€, its kind of fitting for different reasons than you stated on price, but on what the device sort of is. It isnā€™t like a mobile phone as we know it, its more like a desktop/laptop with developing software that admittedly is not daily driver ready yet, but I think when you are buying this device, you are buying into the early development of this device. I mean one can just as easily wait and see and not commit $1200 to a device that is still really in beta form. RIght now its more a linux tinkererā€™s device, but it can be used as a phone with a lot of limitations as of writing this. SOmething like Pinephone I cannot even get by as a limited phone under any of the many distros it can technically run. Pinephone right now is more like a distro hopping beta iPod Touch.

2 Likes