Privacy-loving Luddite needs some translation help <3

Why don’t you stop feeding the bully and give your money to a more respectful competitor ?
I’m not familiar with the buisness model of carriers in the USA, but if I’m not happy with a company, I’ll seek a remplacement, has AT&T some kind of monopole in your area ?

also, can’t you sue them ? is that even legal ? you pay for a service, they choose to randomly cut the service to force you buying something you don’t want

Verizon might be better for you if they have coverage there. I’ve had my same sim card in an unlocked galaxy s9, cosmo communicator, pinephone, and unlocked pixel 4a with no issues.

1 Like

It’s a prepaid SIM from Truphone, which I had already been using intermittently for years. I don’t think it would have been a problem to activate it in the L5, though, because the SIM is marketed as an international SIM for travel, with “local” rates in certain countries, including the US, UK, Australia, Hong Kong, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and Spain. The SIM also works in most other countries, but at more expensive rates.

As it’s an international SIM, it just picks up whichever carriers’ network(s) it has agreements with in whichever country you happen to be. In the U.S., that’s currently AT&T. Mine came with a US number, because my billing information is US. If you live in one of the “local” countries above, you get a number from there. For an additional fee, you can even add another number to the same SIM card, but only for a different country from your own, and it has to be one from that short list above, as I understand it.

International data roaming outside that short list can be very expensive, though. Check the rates on this page (input the travel destination in both fields):
https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

P.S. Truphone doesn’t provide MMS service, only SMS, data, and voice.

1 Like

It’s a common thing in the US that one particular location (city, neighborhood, street, etc.) may have good coverage with only one carrier, or only two carriers, and so on. So some customers may not have much choice. The coverage maps may look dense and universal, but when you zoom down to street level, there may not be enough towers nearby to provide a good 4G signal in your home or workplace.

Different cellular modems work on different 2G, 3G, and 4G frequencies; different carriers may or may not provide service on this frequency or that frequency (though many carriers overlap on all the most common frequencies, even worldwide). The modem in your phone has to match the frequencies of the carrier, or carriers, in order for you to be able to use the phone on their network(s).

The L5’s available modems operate on the frequencies listed here:

The current US modem is the BM818-A1, and the LTE (i.e. 4G) frequencies are the most important. They need to correspond to the network you intend to choose.

Here you can check the frequencies used by various networks around the world (I’ve selected AT&T for you):
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/at-t-united-states?c_id=2869199
As you can see, AT&T’s frequencies correspond well with the L5’s BM818-A1 modem, so it would be a good choice in that respect.

One issue you need to be aware of is that the BM818-A1 does not yet have VoLTE (Voice over LTE 4G) enabled. VoLTE capability is now required for any T-Mobile SIM activation (even T-Mobile resellers), because they intend to retire their 3G network, which means no calls over 3G will be possible in the future. The same will happen with AT&T next year, allegedly. I’m not sure why they’re rejecting your 3G service now, though.

Those reviews would have been for earlier versions of the phone and its software, so you should instead focus on reviews posted after November 20th, 2020, which will be for the final “Evergreen” version.

In any case, if you order now, you won’t receive the phone for several months. If you need a phone now, you should just pick up some cheap 4G/VoLTE Android designed for your chosen network, just to tide you over.

P.S. We’re hoping that Purism will get VoLTE working on the BM818-A1 sooner, rather than later.

3 Likes

Hi @Rae, welcome to the community. We need people like you who are willing to make sacrifices in order to help Purism manufacture devices respecting users.

Here are many answers about how Librem 5 currently works: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions .

There you can find the compatibility with cell carriers, which compromises are currently necessary and much more.

4 Likes

Since you live in the US, the easiest way to get a privacy phone is to buy a Google Pixel 3 or 4 from Rob Braxman with LineageOS 17.1 installed. If you live in Europe, you can buy the Fairphone 3 from the /e/ Foundation, but it doesn’t support the American cellular bands.

Setting up a privacy phone on my own with LineageOS and F-Droid took me a lot of work, and probably isn’t something you should attempt on your own if you don’t have much technical experience and you aren’t willing to spend a lot of time reading the xda-developers forums.

If you need a working Linux privacy phone in the near future (within the next two months), and you don’t want to install the OS yourself, then your best bet is to buy a PinePhone, but it is currently out of stock, and when it comes back into stock, it is going to have Manjaro with KDE Plasma Mobile preinstalled, which is probably not want you want if you just want stuff to work. Your best bet is to install Mobian with Phosh. Installing another OS in the PinePhone isn’t hard.

Another option is to pre-order the Pro1-X that is due in August 2021, and supports all the AT&T bands except LTE B30.

If you order the Librem 5 now, you will have to wait for Q3 or later to get it. In my opinion, it is the best option for protecting your privacy of all the available phones. I expect that it will take a while for Purism to add good software support for the camera, GPS and smartcard, and to improve the battery life so it can last all day on a single charge, but you get lifetime software updates, so I think it will be a good option, if you are willing to wait. If you want more info on a particular feature, check the community FAQ.

4 Likes

Is it still the case that when ordering you have to provide your name, address, email address, and phone number, etc., directly to a factory in the PRC? That may be cause for concern to some (including me), especially if they work in sensitive government positions (I don’t).

1 Like

ok thanks for the explanation, I guess it’s more about the low-profit generated in low density populated area, attracting less carriers, makes sens

@Rae: I hope you have the choice to change you carrier ^^

More on the PinePhone being out of stock here:

“Pine64 announced it would only open pre-order for PinePhone, PinebookPro, PineTab, and other products once they could secure stocks of components, and while they hope to be able to do so within this month, there’s no guarantee.”

1 Like

WOW. Thank you ALL for so much support and guidance!! I’m so glad I found this community!!

I’m honestly a little overwhelmed with all the info provided so this might take me some time to process it. Like I said, I’m really not tech-savvy so I’m having to do research to even understand some of the “dumbed down” explanations, and as such, this is a slow process for me. I’m sure I’ll have more questions afterwards! lol

Thank you again to all who answered questions and provided additional resources! Definitely feeling this community!!

4 Likes

I see that the chart says AT&T works “using 3G.” Apparently AT&T is already phasing out 3G in my area (according to rude customer service agent, even though I pointed out that the letter I received from them said it would be shut down in 2022…). So it sounds like I wont be able to use the Librem 5 on AT&T at this point.
@amarok , have you had a chance to test it on 4G since then? Or is it that Puri.sm has to update something in order for it to work on 4G?

Exactly! In order to use this as my primary phone, all I need is to be able to make/receive calls, texts, and be able to call 911 in an emergency. I’d also like to be able to send/receive photos via text (That’s MMS I guess?) and set alarms.
Are those things possible with Librem 5 at this stage?
As far as the battery goes, can it at least charge while its powered on now? If so, I can make that work even if battery life is still 2 hours by plugging it 90% of the time. If you have to turn it off to charge it AND the battery life is like 2 hours, I don’t know how to make that feasible.
(I have no problem waiting for the camera software, apps, or anything web-browsing wise to come out :slight_smile: )

I’m trying to figure out an interim option as well. AT&T says the only non-smart phone they offer now is a flip phone ( :cold_sweat: Horrible even to me even as someone who has used a QWERTY keypad slider non-smart phone since they came out :sob:). I REALLY hope I can find something better than a flip phone until I receive the L5. I dont trust myself/know enough to protect my privacy on a smart phone, so I keep it dumb :wink: LOL

I would LOVE to leave them out of spite! I do live in a major metropolitan area so it’s not a monopoly, all the main companies service this area, however, I don’t expect any of them to be any better. I have other services and family phone lines bundled with AT&T so its more to consider than a simple swap out for a different carrier. Plus I’ve had this number forever. I’m willing to switch if I can actually find something that has a distinct advantage though!

I wonder about the legality, too. I told the customer service rep how messed up it is to cut my service when I am still paying for it, however, she and her manager did not care. They said it is policy to turn off sim cards when it’s plugged into a non-approved device, even though the device is a AT&T unlocked copy of the same model I’ve been using for 6 years. :angry:

It seems like my issue with AT&T stems from their sim card telling them what phone I am using, and them rejecting it because its not on their “approved” phone list. It sounds like accessing AT&T through this Truphone SIM circumvents that issue entirely? I have NO idea how that works. When you use this, you are not technically a customer of AT&T, and they cannot harass you to comply with their BS? That part sounds fabulous. It seems like 0.09 cents per minute, text, MB seems like it would add up to being more expensive than regular plans for an average user - does that seem accurate? I’m not used to counting those things so I’d love to hear anyone else’s estimate. …would probably be cheaper than the AweSIM though! (love the idea…can’t afford the price.)

@amarok Thank you so much for your thorough and detailed response! I’m trying my best to understand all this new terminology so your explanations are really helpful!

Since AT&T’s 3G network is supposedly already being phased out in my area, it seems like using 3G on the Librem 5 will not be an option for me. Can the Librem work on 4G? If the BM818-A1 does not yet have VoLTE enabled, what does that mean for receiving service/signal? Does that mean I will be able to text and use data but not call (if relying on AT&T’s 4G in my area)?
I’m sorry, I’m sure some of these questions seem obvious to you all. This is just WAY deeper into this territory than I ever dreamed I’d be trying to dive. I’m a mental health professional; 99% of my brain cells are devoted to emotional intelligence and neurology, so I’m a total beginner with this! :sweat_smile:

Thank you!! I’ve been trying to look at alternatives and had not found those two yet, so thank you!

I’ve bookmarked the phones from Rob Braxman. I’m a little hesitant to buy anything from Google even if this guy has gutted it and put in a new OS. Is it risky to buy something from an individual who has gone that deep into a phone? It seems like you’d have to really trust him, because couldn’t he put his own trackers in there and steal your identity/money? Not saying to offend - I’m a novice to this stuff so I’m just wondering/genuinely asking.

The Pro1-X looks awesome - I loooove the QWERTY pad and am so glad some people are still producing those :heart: :heart: Aside from loving the hardware, I’m not really seeing anything about privacy on this one. It says you can design the phone how you want, so that’s great if you have the skills to do that, but I’m a noob and wouldn’t know how to ensure my own privacy without someone doing it for me. So I’m thinking that is not appropriate for me, even though I totally love the hardware.

Maybe I will just accept AT&T’s trash flip phone until I get the Librem :sob: It will help financially ~ buying the Librem will be 10 times more expensive than any phone I’ve ever purchased so it’s already a big reach for me, which I am only considering since I love what Purism is doing so much and feel better about my money going towards this movement. But its already more than what I should be spending, so buying another phone for the next 3-6mo before I can use the Librem should be kept to minimal costs. (I just dont know if I can stand texting on a flip phone for that long without smashing it to pieces >.>)

You wanted some translation, that’s way I asked about what do you hope a few months to mean…

Here is a personal opinion from the current vice-president of Purism:

If you pre-order now, don’t expect your phone to come earlier than 6 months. Purism knows that very well.

Also make sure you understand the current refund policy as well, before pre-ordering:

If you want to draw funds from any product that you: crowdfund, back, pre-order, early purchase, pre-purchase: when your pre-order is reached in the shipping queue you can decide whether to have it shipped or opt for some other option.

Translation: they don’t specify full refund anymore for pre-orders. Until now, there was a case where “some other option” meant vouchers to spent on their store.

Also, it seems they are changing their refund policy whenever they want, without notice, and applies it retroactively.

Other things you might not know: the phone is about 270 g heavy, it has no FCC certification yet (still after more than 3 months after the “big launch” in November). The price doesn’t include any taxes.

I was enthusiastic too. I’m not that anymore about Purism. Buy a PinePhone as an interim (out of stock now, may come back later this month or in April).

1 Like

Thank you for believing in Purism, Purism also believes we deserve privacy and freedom.
I agree with you, none of the Android based devices like fxtec-pro or google pixels phones are not secure or have privacy even if use it with Lineage.

2 Likes

Wow, okay. Thank you, now I understand why you asked that. Yes, “a few” means something different to me (3 to 4). Thank you for providing their definition of a few. I’m still excited for the Librem 5, but it sounds like I’m going to need a better interim solution since it sounds like I’ll be waiting longer than I thought. I really appreciate you letting me know, because if I thought it was going to be a 3 month wait, I’d bare through using a stupid flip phone for the time being. If its more likely to be a 6+ month wait, I’m not going to torture myself for that long. I would have been very frustrated to end up using a flip phone that long while waiting - thank you for saving me from that frustration!!

2 Likes

I’m not sure what that note “using 3G” is referring to…some other user’s personal phone SIM card, maybe… (that wiki was created by a forum member, @amosbatto, so maybe he can clarify). In any case, the L5 does use 4G frequencies (as the modem page states), and yes, will use 4G for data (web browsing) whenever there is a 4G tower within range. When there is no 4G signal present, the data speed will drop to 3G (or even 2G if that’s all that is available).
However, the L5’s modem is not capable yet of handling your phone calls over the 4G data stream (i.e. VoLTE). It will drop to 3G to make and receive phone calls…which will be a problem once the 3G network sunsets happen.

As I said, we hope Purism will get the modem updated at some point to enable VoLTE, or a different modem will be found for the North America market.

Edit: Note that the L5’s modem is user-swappable, a unique feature, and although that’s a delicate operation, it enables you to add a better modem in the future if one comes along.

1 Like

@Rae To address some of your other questions:

1. The L5 does calls, texts, and data, but not yet MMS (it’s coming soon, though).

2. Data is at 4G speed wherever there is a 4G signal.

3. Once 3G for a given network doesn’t exist anymore, the current modem for North America will not be able to make or receive phone calls, unless the modem’s firmware gets updated to enable VoLTE (Voice over LTE 4G datastream).

4. I’m not sure what will happen with 911 capability with this modem, based on the above.

5. The L5 has an alarm clock function, and many other useful applications and utilities.

6. The L5 can be used while it’s charging. You can even buy an extra battery from Purism and swap the battery out while the phone is plugged in and running.

7. You don’t have to use AT&T itself. You can use the AT&T network by getting your service from a reseller/wholesaler that operates on AT&T’s network…usually cheaper, too. I cited Truphone international prepaid SIM simply because I already had their SIM (for travel purposes). You could equally use, say, Red Pocket Mobile (currently $10/month for unlimited talk/text and 1GB of 4G data), or any other reseller/wholesaler (MVNO - Mobile Virtual Network Operator).

8. It will be difficult to find a phone with a physical QWERTY keyboard these days. You may have to settle for virtual QWERTY, ie. on-screen…but they’re both in QWERTY layout.

9. Some MVNOs sell phones and some don’t, but they all allow you to bring your own device to activate. That device usually has to be an “unlocked” device, i.e. not carrier-branded or carrier-locked. You can find many unlocked phones for sale on Amazon or Ebay, or in Best Buy, etc. Remember it must be VoLTE-capable on the network you choose to use, or else it will soon be useless in the US.

10. When you change network providers, you never have to give up your phone number. You can “port” it to the new carrier. It takes a few minutes, hours, or up to a day or two to complete.

11. Some MVNOs also have family plans, but if they don’t, you may find that the cost for each individual line still adds up to less than AT&T charges.

12. The US networks are shutting down 3G nationwide (apparently area by area). Once that is complete, no connection over 3G will be possible at all (because 3G will cease to exist). That’s why they’ve started to disallow phones that are not at least 4G-capable. Also, a 4G (for data) phone will eventually be unable to make or receive phone calls if it is not also VoLTE-capable. (Nearly all new-ish phones are VoLTE-capable now.)

13. If you buy a cheap unlocked Android phone (i.e. not carrier-branded), in its settings you can disable many of the pre-installed apps that are known to abuse your privacy, like Facebook, and even the Google suite of apps. You can also use an Android without even creating an account with Google. This isn’t perfect privacy, but it’s a good start. There are other safe places to get apps you might want to use, besides Google’s store.

3 Likes

Actually you should be able to use any bluetooth keyboard with your Librem 5.

3 Likes