Project help needed?

1. GitHub is a subsidiary of Microsoft, and my security practices strictly enforce that I cannot participate in anything relating to Big Tech.
  2. I minimize my attack surface, even for my public identity, as much as possible. This means I manage as few online accounts as necessary to function, and that if I find a method to eliminate any dependency, I must act upon it.

I made an exception for Discourse to build credibility, reputation, and trust in the Purism community, among other reasons. At any time, I can revoke my Discourse privileges and cease all participation if my circumstances changes.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I salute you.

For those like me who are about to lose their github account because of uacceptable 2FA requirements, I have learned that TOTP makes them happy and that keepassxc supports TOTP and is nearly trivial to activate on github. The reason I mention it was that it was very diificult (for me) to learn just what to do. I had to do a lot web searching and reading in order to learn just how simple it is and the actual details of doing it.

1 Like

Note that while my security practices prevent me from participating within Big Tech, I am still permitted to access Big Tech’s resources, provided that I make a best effort to protect myself using either privacy front-ends or the Tor Browser.

For example, with GitHub, I use GotHub as the privacy front-end.

However, GotHub is still a work-in-progress, and using GitHub’s search or accessing repository issues is unsupported. In such cases, I use GitHub normally and keep both my pathway and objective explicitly deliberate while doing so.

Another example is YouTube, in which I use Invidious.

Unlike earlier, I do not actually use YouTube anymore, as I have managed to completely eliminate my dependency on it. In this case, I only use Invidious instances for proxying embedded YouTube links encountered across the Internet. I am permitted to grant myself exceptions to use Invidious and watch videos whenever necessary or desired, but such occurances are once a month or longer at this point, and usually for voluntary public duties, not for personal “fulfillment”.

A dependency I have been unable to permanently remove is Google search, so I use LibreY as a privacy front-end.

In this case, I need relevant results for my personal projects, voluntary public duties, as well as for answering support questions within various forums, including the Purism community, so I have accepted that this will be a difficult dependency to remove without substantial financial resources. Startpage and DuckDuckGo(Onion) are also permitted proxies, although their claims of privacy are dubious at best.

Lastly, Twitch is owned by Amazon, so I use SafeTwitch as a privacy front-end.

I usually just watch VODs, which have no advertisements, and use them in a similar manner to having a Internet radio station in the background, while focusing on other activities in other windows.

If you don’t use this already, LibRedirect sounds great dor you to automatically redirect you to privacy-respecting alternatives like the ones you mentioned. It’s available as a Firefox add-on and a Chromium extension.

1 Like

I do use it; that is how I proxy embedded YouTube videos, using the Codeberg instances.

1 Like