Proposal for a Librem 13v5/15v5

the phone has potential to keep them busy to the point where we might start to think that they may have forgotten about their other products e.g laptop

we need to come up with a design, the ultimate design of the laptop

the ThinkPad keyboard has a nice key travel:wink: one day i was looking a the thinkpad carbon x1 nice but it also has it’s disadvantage

I think a 4k display is somewhat unnecessary, it will drive up the price even higher, for a smaller group of customer in a already small community. Not to mention it will sets of a chain of problems, e.g. shorter battery life. While people are demanding for a 4k display while also long for a longer battery life, I hope they will understand this correlation.

Things like Capslock LED, removal of number Pads, and USB-C charging, I’d assume would cost a lot less.

4 Likes

You can buy a 4k Display like this one in Purism Notebook for 100 dollar, the prices purism pay are much more lower. Believe me you don’t want to know the hardware prices, this low specs notebook with old hardware :wink:

I see no problem with a 4k display, but you should have a good cpu and cpu that can handle 4k content, that’s the real problem. For better battery life set the resolution to 1080p. Dell is managing the batter life with 4k too. Power efficiency is a big problem in linux Notebooks. Windows notebooks are settled this problem the last years so then can slightly compare with MacBooks.
But yes, maybe there might be a correlation for purism.

1 Like

Please get rid of the numpad and the ugly offset from center trackpad.
The 15 inch macbook pro keyboard’s layout/position is perfect.
Bigger trackpad.

The Librem 15 already has a 4K display.

So you could be asking for a Librem 15 “Lite” that is only Full High Definition. That isn’t something that I would be pushing for, hypothetically speaking.

I also wanted a numlock indicator, not just capslock. In neither case did I insist it be on the key itself; I’d be happy with a software warning on both the decryption and login screens.

Oh, and numlock may not seem like an issue to people who are using the 15, but on the 13 it can be set and you are not typing letters from the right half of the keyboard, but rather numbers.

4k shouldn’t be a problem for the v5 if scaling in gnome is implemented correctly and produces a usable result …

gnome 3.36 should have that working nicely under wayland

1 Like

Just wondering here do people mind a thicker chassis if we get improved battery life & cooling?

1 Like

Not at all. Thinness helps to a point. Then it becomes diminishing returns. The tricky thing is, everyone has a different point for that diminishing returns. Some may want to return to the thickness of the old ThinkPads, so may just want a few extra mm for the cooling and battery. I personally wouldn’t mind, but it’d be hard to find a “middle ground” everyone would be happy with.

2 Likes

I have been about to mention this too - I would love something like this. Don’t follow the stupid trend that every computer must be soooo thin, but make battery-life and cooling good instead. It would allow for proper key travel too. (But I should add that I haven’t had my fingers on a Librem yet, so I cannot comment on it’s current status in these regards).

2 Likes

In addition to this, I would really love to see a keyboard layout similar to the older thinkpads. (But I bet that is patented or something :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Is no problem in v4 the scalling.

Why a not thin? the new macbook got the biggest battery allowed in a notebook for plane and so slim, slim bezel, nice gpu.

2 Likes

Open the Librem v4 and you see plenty of space. A place for a 2.5 hard drive is not nessesary because the slim ssd you can get up to 2GB or even more

2 Likes

You know, that a “real” GPU (nvidia, amd) is not possible because of freedom issues?

3 Likes

i know is really sad because there a good gpu for workstation with free drivers out there :frowning:

1 Like

the new ryzen vega 8 or 10 would be nice, but amd isn’t possible too :frowning:

Which GPU does have free drivers, you’d recommend?

AMD as a whole is not an option because of the integrated PSP, which you cannot fully (verifiably!) disable it - or even remove it.

Please get yourself a littlebit more familiar with those vendors, products and architectures - it seems, that you don’t really know all the issues, why purism can’t just slap a high-end up to date GPU/CPU combo into a notebook.

1 Like