Providing an AC power cable with Librem 5

I call upon Librem 5 developers to add the option of directly
powering the device with a cable plugged into a AC current wall outlet,
(similar to the cable used with a router)
bypassing the battery for stationary use at home or in the office.

This will save a lot of the battery charging burden while at home or
in the office, etc - adding yet another significant advantage over the rest of
the mobile phones.

This feature may significantly raise interest among individuals who formerly
declined the crowd funding option because of cost - benefit considerations.

I call upon Purism developers to consider the potential contribution
of adding this feature on the outlook of Librem 5 future sales.

While you are most likely to late to the party, I also don’t see the feature of this feature. So it is… a second power-plug, with no advantage.
Everywhere I go, I can find a USB cable to power my phone (and soon, USB-C shall be the default).

You don’t need a secondary input to bypass the battery. You can just configure it to not charge. It is also likely that you could remove the battery and still power it via USB-C (why not?)
The question, again, would be: Why, oh, why?

If you put it in a drawer, it will most likely be dead after 5 years.
If you leave it in the device, you have two advantages:

• device survives power outages
  • battery possibly not dead after 5 years

I’ve written it before, so just in short: The battery of my previous laptop (2012 made) still works pretty well. That is not a miracle, it’s good engineering. The laptop was almost always on, and almost always plugged.
The “secret” to long battery life is simple:

• don’t discharge below 30% (20%)
  • don’t charge above 80% (90%)

For stationary use, request support for a “stationary mode” that keeps the battery at 60% and enjoy.

7 Likes

a) I appreciate your detailed response !

b) “While you are most likely to late to the party”
In what sense - can you explain ?

c) Your remark on requesting support for " stationary mode " is very encouraging
because i count on it.

[quote="Caliga, post:2, topic:5305"]
 You can just configure it to not charge
 [/quote]

d) Is this going to be an actual option with Librem 5 ?

and if so

e) How will i be able to use Librem 5 for tethering while in stationary mode ?
There is only one USB socket on a mobile device
while AFAIK, each of these functions ( tethering and “stationary mode” )
require exclusive use of the USB socket
Am i wrong ?

I meant I don’t think they would consider your request that late anyway, even if it had advantages.

What we need is a charge controller. Afaik, the laptops don’t have one, but the phone should have one. I think Nicole hinted at that. Just read all battery related topics here :wink:

Ideally, that means you can set the upper voltage at which charging stops.

Think about it: your laptop can power your external disk and read from it at the same time!
Why should it be different with tethering?
Some wires for power, some for data.
Even if not, you could still tether via BT and wireless.

The whole point of the convergence feature is that you have ONE plug to rule them all. Audio, video, network, storage, mouse, keyboard, power.

I don’t see a need for an AC input on the Librem 5. Just ensure it alows charge controlling and use a decent USB power source that isn’t unstable.

1 Like

Pursuant to Caliga’s post

I urge Purism developers to include a built in charge controller in Librem 5

Being able to use the device for tethering, while in “stationary mode”
will be yet another amazing advantage over existing mobiles on the market
and a potential boost to future sales

Am i wrong ?

1 Like

TLDR; You are.

There absolutely is no point in having AC power to the phone.
Nothing in the phone runs on AC, every single component runs on DC at or below 5 Volts.

Having AC in the phone would require including the switch-mode power supply that is in the common “wall warts” in the phone, which adds considerable size to it.

It would also require adding another plug to the phone, which needs proper isolation, making it far larger than the thickness of the phone (which is already quite thick) allows.

After all that, everyone would need a special cable with a special plug, which nobody else on the planet would use, for the phone which makes the idea even more pointless.

And we haven’t even gotten into the challenges of making this safe to use, since the AC-section needs good isolation.

Edit: of course, the charge controller will be necessary, and every device has one, as will the Librem 5.
I don’t know about the laptops, but those certainly have a charge controller; either in the battery or on the board, integrated in some IC.

Use the force search, Luke.

Long story short in the Librem5 we will implement a smart charger chip

You asked all your questions before and they had all been competently answered before, and you even were thankful.

If Nicole answered you, you’ll not get better answers by asking the same thing again in the next year.

Technically correct, but it also needs to be software controllable, which is not true for the laptops but true for the phone as Nicole told him already last year.

2 Likes

i assume the op believes he can succesfully use the librem 5 as a low power desktop/laptop replacement on the first run. it’s good to dream but it might be a little while longer before we get a good Libre docking-station to complement the FLOSS nature of this device.

i believe it is counter productive to expect features on a first generation libre smartphone that has not yet hit the market. let’s maybe wait to get our hands on this novelity first and then we can discuss what the PRIORITIES are.

Sigh. You do realize that they sell a “docking station” (well, a screen with a USB-C hub) right from the start?

The librem 5 can run all the software you can use on a RaspberryPi right from the start. Router, network, file server, mail server… as well as all desktop software from thunderbird to gimp, Inkscape, OpenOffice and media players.

The hard part really is not to run desktop software on it.
Attach a screen and mouse, install/compile the package, run.
The hard part is to adapt some desktop applications so they also work in phone mode, and make smooth transitions between the modes.

1 Like

i’m confused. what do you mean by

?
do you mean that they already have plans for a fully libre docking-station for the librem 5 ? are we on the same page here ? are you actually refering to a full fledged docking-station or just a usb-c powered hub ?

when i say docking-station i understand - more than 4 usb 3.0 ports - dedicated rj45 port - full size dedicated hdmi and dp ports - dedicated power source - usb c to connect with the smartphone or better yet a cradle to rest the phone and maybe also a cooling fan to assist in heat disipation. in short a real alternative to using it as a low powered laptop with an external display monitor/tv. i imagine heat output will be a factor.

Plans? It has been for sale from the very first day of the campaign.
https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5-24-inch-kit/
A screen with an integrated USB-C hub. Nothing fancy in 2019.

1 Like

now i see what you meant. yes i knew about that from 2018 but that is limiting for me in many ways.

i need a separate/dedicated fully libre docking-station for modularity (not beeing tied down to a particular set of monitor specifications). also that model is not OLED and is too big for my needs (i require for internet browsing only a 15.6 inch portable screen with an option to vesa mount it on a mechanical stand and just have the phone connected through a docking-station or a usb-c hub)

so far this is - imo - the best all rounded option for such portable/desktop like convenience with a low enough power draw that also has VESA mounting built-in on the back-side of the panel.

Quick google search indicates that that touch screen has Linux support. So, if you find a matching USB-C hub with HDMI out, might work. Try and find out :wink: