Pureboot - How do I see the OS Boot Menus?

I have a Librem Purism 13 inch with Pureboot.

When I boot (for example Tails OS) via USB I am presented with a list of boot options provided by PureOS. In the example of Tails there are 4 options, two of which are troubleshooting mode.

When I select one of the options I boot directly into the OS.

How can I see the actual Tails boot menu with PureOS? For example, if I plug the usb into a computer with a standard BIOS or UEFI, once booting from USB I see the Tails bootloader. These bootloaders have options that I sometimes need to bypass.

Thanks

Edit:
In this example I need to access the tails boot loader to access the advanced options and change a boot parameter.

Maybe Heads: how to modify kernel command line? is relevant.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re not booting off the USB. I don’t have pureboot, but I would surmise you have to adjust the boot order such that it looks at USB first.

If this has been done, then I would think something is wrong with Tails and you should try re-flashing it.

1 Like

So pureboot doesn’t have a boot menu like Seabios?

On mine I just push escape when I see the Purism logo.

1 Like

This bears emphasis.

As with most magic keys that you can push during booting … you only have a small window of time to press the key. It has to be pushed at the right time.

1 Like

If you use just plain coreboot, then press the esc key after the purism logo disappears. Like said above, there is a short window of time.

If using pureboot. then:

Start your Librem — on the PurBoot menu select “Options” → “Boot options” → “USB Boot” → press ENTER on the first entry

What should take you to the tails initial menu.

2 Likes

Librem Purism 13 inch v4 with Pureboot,up to date
Librem Key

Here is my work flow:

1. Power on computer. PureBoot Main Menu shows.
  2. Select “Options”
  3. Select “Boot Options”
  4. Select “USB Boot”
  5. A list of boot options appears for tails. Select the first one.
    Result: Tails boots, bypassing the tails boot screen.

I’ve tried every step I possibly can, I can find no way to input boot parameters or access the Tails boot menu. There isn’t an issue with the USB stick, when I boot from it on another computer I am presented with the Tails boot menu as expected.

Thanks, I will look into this. It would be nice to see the default Boot Menu for the OS I am loading, but if I can modify the kernel boot parameters then that should be fine.