PureMaps (flatpak) on the L5

@dos: Thanks. I haven’t taken a closer look at the GPS hardware of the L5 so far. But it makes sense that you wouldn’t want the modem’s GPS to be used on a privacy focused device.

Well, I should have read https://puri.sm/posts/gps-tuning-the-librem-5-hardware/ before posting here… :sweat_smile:

And thanks for pointing me to the PR - seems like Angus Ainslie is already on the topic… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all this anyway, @Kareema… I learned some things and that’s always good.

2 Likes

@dos: I just took a look at the state of https://github.com/zeenix/gps-share/pull/17 and it seems like it wouldn’t take long until the PR is merged. The FIXME to clean up the code should be easy enough for a rust beginner like me, so I’ll take a shot at it as soon as I find the time (after the merge is through).
I noticed, that there’s no Debian package for gps-share so far. Do you know if Angus Ainslie (or somebody else) is going to package it for the Librem 5?

Sorry to bump an old post, but where is the location service in settings? I cannot find it

Settings >> Privacy.

I got a PureMaps update yesterday, now the default map (mapbox) is displayed as follows:

Is this something I can fix somehow?

I tried to package it up, but it has a bunch of dependencies not found in Debian. Still, there’s someone in Debian who is watching this space, so I’m going to push what I have to relevant places.

Almost all is not displayed, but what is looks quite correct. :wink:

Text based/only map? :thinking: That does indeed show where everything is in relation to each other.

Is @Rinigus (the dev) still frequenting this forum?

@JR-Fi: getting notified when I’m pinged, thanks.

@fiacco: In general, bugs should be reported by issues at Github. Otherwise, it is by chance that I discover them. OK, looks like Mapbox map is not working. Can you try some raster map tiles? Like HERE or OpenCycleMap?

I did move Pure Maps to Qt 5.15 a day or two ago. I wonder if we are again hitting some Mesa issue or something is terribly wrong in the build. (Working to fix OSM Scout Server build on the same Flatpak runtime).

As for Debian packaging, so far I have only heard of interest but haven’t seen it packaged. There is a significant amount of dependencies that actually allow me to deliver such map application.

1 Like

For me, Mapbox, HERE, and Sputnik seem to be the ones that don’t work. All the other ones do work.

Good one! I immediately thought of a terminal version. Dwarf Fortress in real life?

1 Like

@amarok: Try to move away

~/.var/app/io.github.rinigus.PureMaps

somewhere else. This will move all your settings, but you could restore it later. I wonder if some caches are messed up

1 Like

They works. All except Mapbox. Also satellite view is OK.
Moving away ~/.var/app/io.github.rinigus.PureMaps doesn’t help

1 Like

@fiacco: thank for testing. Would you mind testing with offline mode as well using OSM Scout Server? Mapbox and offline maps use vector tiles and could stress GLES more than raster maps. So, would be interesting to know whether it is only Mapbox (more complicated style) or OSM Scout Server maps as well.

In addition, check if with raster maps you can see

• POIs (such as search results)
  • routes (after routing calculation)

Would be great if someone could check your breakage with Pure Maps. As in your case, without the cache if something is broken.

One more test that can be done and suggested for PinePhone on https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=puremaps. Try to run from terminal:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 flatpak run io.github.rinigus.PureMaps

Please when reporting, also state if you use L5 or PinePhone.

1 Like

Using OSM Scout Server I get the same map (with different font).
With raster map (tried OpenCycle and OpenTopo) I get POIs after a search, but I cannot see graphically a route, even if apparently has been calculated it, because I can see “circles” POI along the route.

Do you want to move this discussion to Github?

EDIT: I’m on L5

1 Like

@fiacco: thanks for testing! This sounds like a bug coming from GLES stack (Mesa, kernel) which got triggered by a new Flatpak platform.

Have you tested with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1?

If my suspicion is right, it is not something I can fix on Pure Maps side but has to be fixed in L5 drivers (or interaction with Mesa on Flatpak). So, there is no point in opening an issue at Pure Maps Github repo.

Please do the test with software-based rendering and then let’s report an issue via Matrix L5 channel.

1 Like

Running from terminal LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 flatpak run io.github.rinigus.PureMaps PureMaps starts with the usual nice map. But it’s very slow, almost unusable.

1 Like

@fiacco: thanks a lot for testing. Yes, HW acceleration is needed to be able to show the map. I have a feeling sometimes that Pure Maps is an only app that is pushing GLES on L5 or PinePhone as it is regularly hitting some bugs in drivers. I’ll notify L5 devs.

2 Likes

Thank you for your efforts. The app is great.

3 Likes