PureOS 10 on Huawey Matebook D14 2020

Hello.

I’ve been given a Huawey Matebook D14 2020 to play with for a while. It looks like a neat piece of equipment, even though I’m perplexed about security from this manufacturer.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/laptops/matebook-d-14-2020/

In any case the first thing I’m trying is installing some Linux. Up to now there has been no way to boot the PureOS 10 installer - it complains about the USB media not being bootable. No problems, instead, e.g. with Elementary OS 6 - I mean, it doesn’t look like a BIOS setup problem, at least a trivial one.

Any ideas to fix it?

You need to allow “legacy boot”. PureOS doesn’t support uefi at this point.

1 Like

Just chiming in with a heads up that you’ll not have sound regardless of the distro used if you’re on Intel due to the soundcard used , for more details see https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/3248

1 Like

Yes. PureOS pulling in one direction. Huawei pulling in the other direction. If you are just playing, OK, but …

Yes, Legacy / CSM Boot is absolute pre-requirement for any further step. @fabrizio.giudici should look if this feature within BIOS of this laptop (by pressing F2 directly and exclusively after restarting of WIN10/WIN11). Otherwise this laptop won’t be able to boot into PureOS install media.

Yes. PureOS pulling in one direction. Huawei pulling in the other direction. If you are just playing, OK, but …

Clear. It’s just doing an exercise.

Legacy / CSM Boot

Apparently there’s no such an option in this device. I’m not so acquainted to recent non-Apple BIOSes, so it may be I just need some time to get it, but at the moment I couldn’t find that option.

I’ll let you know, in case the info is useful for others.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Being back to the forum for a new question, I realized I didn’t post here the solution that I found a year ago.
While in the BIOS setup there was no ‘legacy boot’ option, there was a ‘secure boot’ option that was on. Turning it off allowed me to boot from the USB key and install PureOS.

1 Like