PureOS installation with LVM volume groups

I have another question.
Does anybody have luck with transforming his (already installed) L5 mobile phone to LVM?

No, the Librem 5 reflashing process is non-configurable. The most I have ever been able to do is have LUKS encryption or not, or choose between Byzantium and Crimson.

You might be able to use Jumpdrive:

Some discussion of related concepts here:

It doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s much documentation around, though

1 Like

Of course.
I meant to use manual methods for setup LVM on L5.

1 Like

But if itā€™s just a disk image, it should be possible, right?

You can definitely reconfigure the LUKS encryption on the host computer after downloading the disk image and before flashing to the Librem 5.

I guess the big question would be whether the boot image in the boot partition has the necessary support for whatever LVM functionality is required.

Oh and having sufficient knowledge of the details in order to set LVM up that way. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, Calamares should function just like the AMD64 image, then mobile-optimized for the Librem 5.

I think there are always going to be differences between the way PureOS is installed on an x86 computer (can boot from a USB device regardless of the state of the internal disk or disks) and the way PureOS is installed on the Librem 5 (the only boot options are internal eMMC drive or from host computer via USB using uuu, which means that if the internal eMMC drive contents are borked then uuu is the only boot option).

Ultimately both of them could provide the same disk installation options, with somewhat user-friendly GUI, but to make them offer the same options would be a fair amount of effort.

I guess it might help if @neva_blyad shed light on what use of LVM would be made on the Librem 5.

I think that in the past some customers have mused over the possibility of combining the internal eMMC drive and the uSD drive into a single logical drive.

1 Like

I need a LVM snapshot feature.
It would allow to make full backup of root live filesystem.

1 Like