PureOS live USB boots to GRUB shell

I tried to create a USB drive from the 10.3 iso, but when I try to boot from the drive it jumps straight to a GRUB Shell without any options to boot to PureOSLive or install. I downloaded this image/sha256sum:

f4dca2a64547ca4873142418281b0c4cf38fb27df414b63425e359b8ecf869f6  ./pureos-10.3-gnome-live-20230614_amd64.iso

Post download I confirmed the image was good:

sha256sum ~/Downloads/pureos-10.3-gnome-live-20230614_amd64.iso
f4dca2a64547ca4873142418281b0c4cf38fb27df414b63425e359b8ecf869f6  /home/user/Downloads/pureos-10.3-gnome-live-20230614_amd64.iso

I then flashed the image to several different USB drives, using different tools (etcher, Gnome Disks, dd) and each time confirmed the image sha (/dev/sda is the USB device):

sudo head -c $(stat -c '%s' /home/user/Downloads/pureos-10.3-gnome-live-20230614_amd64.iso) /dev/sda | sha256sum
f4dca2a64547ca4873142418281b0c4cf38fb27df414b63425e359b8ecf869f6  -

In all cases the checksums matched, but I always end up at the grub shell. I’m running Pop_OS! 22.04. I did try running the same ISO in a VM and everything worked, it presents the PureOS install as expected. I also tried several other ISO’s from other distros just to make sure nothing was wrong with my current setup, they worked and I could run/install as expected.

Are there instructions on how to boot from the grub shell, or is something wrong with the current ISO?

The PureOS image works fine, and all the steps you have followed should have worked. Have you tried using Ventoy?

@mcginger Are you booting on a Librem device or something else? If you’re on a Librem, could you check what firmware version you have (sudo dmidecode -s bios-version)? It’s possible this could be firmware-related (but could also be a lot of other things too). Can you boot any other GRUB-based ISOs from any of those flash drives in the same device, like the memtest86+ GRUB image?

Thanks @FranklyFlawless , I haven’t tried ventoy but I will and report back.

@jonathon.hall, I’ve tried booting from two different laptops: a Thinkpad T14 and System76 Pangolin 10, both with the same grub shell results.

I didn’t try the memtest86+ image, but I was able to flash two other distros to the same USB and they both boot as expected.

Thanks for clarifying. If you’re booting in UEFI mode, you might want to try booting in BIOS mode to see if it’s any different. I mainly focus on firmware (others focus more on OS), so I can’t help with the specifics on those devices as much :slightly_smiling_face:

This is an old thread, and not to muddy the waters, I have been using GLIM for years quite happily and successfully:

Is it compatible with Coreboot + Heads?

I cannot say, as I have not ever used those. If it means choosing coreboot instead of grub, then I would say no, unless the coreboot is embedded in the ISO you want to boot from.