PureOS not detecting Pinephone 64 modem

Hi all,
I flashed a recompiled PureOS image for the Pinephone 64 3GB (the stock PureOS images will not boot on the 3GB model, and the same image flashed to the PP64 eMMC will not boot either, BTW). However, it does boot from an SD card (I don’t know why). Everything appears to function properly except the EG25 modem is not detected. Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue? FWIW, my cell provider is T-Mobile, and the modem works properly when I’m running Mobian on the phone. I’d like to be able to make phone calls in PureOS as I’m previewing the OS while I wait for my Librem 5 Evergreen to arrive. TIA for any assistance provided!

delta1071

1 Like

Perhaps you can find someone knowing the details here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9361.

Do you have an SD card in the Pinephone when you are trying to boot?

Here’s something I found out the hard way :slight_smile: I messed up Mobian, and was reinstalling it. I installed JumpDrive on an SD card. That made it so that you can boot off the micro-SD card.

I put the card in, it booted JumpDrive, and that allowed me to use the Pinephone as a USB device.

I then loaded the Pinephone with Mobian.

I reformatted the SD Card that had JumpDrive on it, to use it as extra storage, and put it back in the phone.

If I did not have the SD card in the Pinephone, it booted. If I put the SD card into the Pinephone, it wouldn’t boot.

The Pinephone was still trying to boot off the microSD card, which still had the boot record on it indicating it was bootable. But it no longer had JumpDrive on it. Reformatting the SD card did not remove those bits. You have to specifically overwrite them.

I found a webpage online that gave me the commands, but am having trouble finding it again. If I do, I will update this post.

Yes I am using an SD card to boot PureOS since flashing it to the eMMC results in no boot (no lights, blank screen). The instructions for partitioning the card are listed on the Pinephone OS wiki page (sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=8k seek =1 count =4). The modem works fine when I boot into Mobian, so it’s not a hardware issue. Seems like maybe the modem drivers are not included in the image, but I can’t find anywhere to download a Quectel driver for PureOS. I’ve posted this issue in the PP 64 forums too, but nobody seems to be able to offer any working solution.
UPDATE: After posting this, I found a driver package on the Quectel web site along with installation instructions. Apparently the drivers have to be compiled into the kernel, which is way out of my league. So I guess I’m sticking with Mobian.

2 Likes