PureOS Optional Subscription Added to Advance Development

I am fine to pay 200 monthly infinitely for Purism for a Highest Purity of Free Software for Gnu Pure OS.

Meaning that Firefox,Waydroid,Flatpak,SystemD,Wine,Jail,Others, it need kick out from Pure OS.

1 Like

The thing is… it is (mostly) all optional once we have reached feature parity. If you want to remove firefox, feel free to. If I want to use WayDroid, that is my choice!
So PureOS can’t remove it because it isn’t there to start with! I put it there!*

*- Example for Waydroid and Flathub only

But yes, that is a great ideal. :+1:

2 Likes

I still don’t see the issue with having Flatpaks. I can only assume you take offense to Flathub, which isn’t Flatpak and their repositories do contain non free software. Purism has their own Flatpak repository (https://puri.sm/posts/introducing-flatpaks-on-pureos/) and I would be surprised if they were including non free software there.

Purism has mentioned that they would like to enable payments in its store and it would be another source of revenue from people that want to pay and receive something more tangible.

5 Likes

From what Jonathon Hall said, a report from the progress from last month’s efforts is coming soon. Hopefully much of it has been toward stabilizing Crimson for general use.
There have been many advancements, particularly in Phosh, that would be great to have on the Librem 5. Guido is working on making copy and paste better and currently it is a fairly large pain point affecting my experience.

Copy / paste can be fiddly on mobile. I opened an MR today to make the paste part a bit easier in phosh-osk-stub (another old branch finally cleaned up into a (hopefully) mergeable state):

4 Likes

The PureOS Crimson development report for August 2024 is out: https://puri.sm/posts/pureos-crimson-development-report-august-2024/.

A small snippet:

Responsibility

We have a responsibility to use your subscription funds in the best possible way to advance PureOS. Right now, that is moving Crimson toward release. Quality-of-life improvements to apps are great, but not useful if they’re in an unreleased distribution.

Given the circumstances, we will use the August funds in September to advance Crimson toward release. Once we do the necessary archive maintenance, ideally with the maintainer’s involvement, we will apply those funds toward these tasks that are no longer blocked. We use 100% of PureOS subscription funds for the development of PureOS.

8 Likes

Well, that is good enough for me, for now. I am glad they posted it.

3 Likes

Many inconsistencies from Purism, which makes me doubt whether to support them or not. Apparently i will end up being a Purism hater like the many already exist. = (
I feel used and stupid from purism team.

3 Likes

I thought the post was great. You don’t like it?

In particular, I love this commitment. It makes me want to add another subscription or two :raised_hands: If we want Free Software to progress, we all need to pitch in and help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m very sorry that you feel this way. We absolutely do not want to create this feeling, and we’re working very hard on our communications to help all of our customers and supporters feel valued.

We made several promises:

• We use 100% of PureOS subscription funds for the development of PureOS.
  • Once we do the necessary archive maintenance, ideally with the maintainer’s involvement, we will apply those funds toward these tasks that are no longer blocked.
  • we will set up public milestones representing the funding for that month
  • our next update […] will be in the first half of October.

If these weren’t clear, I am glad to have this opportunity to point out these commitments again, and I hope this is helpful.

I appreciate you stating this concern. Perhaps this is another blog post we should write, if this is a broad concern.

All of us agree that 100% free software is the ideal. That’s the utopia we want to build toward.

The challenge, in my opinion, is building enough momentum to get there. Many potential customers are not able to use a device without Bluetooth, or without modern Wi-Fi, or without CPUs less than 10 years old. To create the necessary pressure on these vendors to better support free software (and firmware), we need to show that the demand for free software is real and larger than the small group that is able to use a device without these conveniences. We need to bring free software to those users, so they can see the benefits firsthand and join our demand.

At the same time, we do everything we can to cater to customers who would prefer not to have Bluetooth (etc.). For example, you can order Librem 14 and Librem Mini without a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, if you prefer to provide your own or do not need one.

I would be happy to hear any suggestions to how we can better cater to both of these groups. Of course we value our customers who would prefer not to use nonfree firmware, we do not intend to discount them as we try to reach other customers as well. We need both audiences to generate change in the industry.

I’m sorry you feel this way, but I do appreciate you spelling my name correctly (it is often misspelled :wink: ).

I personally have a great emphasis on quality. In my time at Purism so far, I have created detailed test plans for all of the firmware releases that I am principally responsible for, and I execute them for every release across our entire range of devices, back to the Librem 13v1 and 15v1. This takes a substantial amount of time, but is well worth it to ensure quality for our customers.

In my opinion, you can see my push toward quality in our EC firmware releases for the Librem 14 in particular. While I haven’t counted up the numbers, the Librem EC firmware had repeated regressions in the past as fixes for one issue caused another, and improvements caused unforeseen issues. I have fixed many of those issues, and by leveraging testing, have greatly reduced the rate of regressions in the EC releases. The releases have been farther apart, but they have had much better quality, in my opinion.

15 Likes

This complain is very generic and nonconstructive. What exactly didn’t you like?

2 Likes

This was clarified to an extent, but the post was moved to another thread as it was also related to an off-topic discussion that had started to take over this thread. (Thank you @irvinewade for addressing that :bowing_man: ) I quoted the specific reasons in my reply above, and the quote links will take you to that thread if you want to see the complete post.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining! However, such post should not have existed anyway. It should have contained the explanations from the beginning.

1 Like

From the August update:

This blocked the planned work.

we will use the August funds in September to advance Crimson toward release.

Isn’t this just saying “no progress in August”? :sweat_smile:

Oh, Purism, why do you make it so hard to love you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I would rather pay $240 a year, than $20 a month. I like the subscription idea though.

3 Likes