PureOS release notes

In addition to clicking “review” after the update has already been installed Is there somewhere I can read the release notes for each update to PureOS?

2 Likes

It is ridiculous that the release notes are not even published on the website.

A link should be provided directly on the download page.

One of the reasons there are no Release Notes is that we currently use a rolling release method, so we’re always releasing. We may have a new stable release for which we’ll provide release notes. I wonder what information you’re looking for specifically? We may have that info on our wiki or someplace else.

Even for rolling a (e.g. monthly) summary could be done

Release notes for August
updated 99 packages from upstream (see list)
notable updates: bumped Gnome to x.yy

Improvements and fixed issues (tracker.pureos.net)

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll endeavor to supply a set of release notes. But I don’t know if they’ll be monthly or quarterly. Most packages will already come with release notes and updated flatpaks should have release notes upstream, as do the newer versions of GNOME. It may be possible to merely collate that information, but in recent months we’ve done some significant updates to PureOS as well, like the updated release on pureos.net/download, which need their own release notes.

1 Like

You don’t have to make a changelog everytime. It’s a waste of time. Don’t bother with it @jeremiah. Don’t do it. Waste your time on improving PureOS instead :slight_smile:

Hm, can they be accessed before actually doing the update? Because Synaptic always tells me

This change is not coming from a source that supports changelogs.

Failed to fetch the changelog for pureos-gnome
URI was: http://repo.puri.sm/pool/main/p/pureos-meta/pureos-gnome_0.9.5_amd64.changelog

But to re-iterate: I would not consider a dump of all upstream changes helpful. I would consider it helpful if the release notes would focus on notable changes, e.g. security, changes Purism was working on, or important packages.

2 Likes

You use a rolling release model for PureOS. That is fine. That only applies to the OS itself, but not for the installation medium (ISO). I have to start “rolling” from some point and that point is the installation medium (ISO). The installation medium is a snapshot of the rolling PureOS at a specific day and time.

Most rolling distributions call their installation medium releases after the day they were created. For example, Archlinux 2019.08.01. However, the website of PureOS states the following version: PureOS 8.0 “Prometheus”. So, that signals to me that PureOS 8.0 “Prometheus” was in some sense special and deserves a dedicated release announcement or at least a changelog. That is the reason why I am confused that I am not able to find any release notes.

Regardless, for every installation medium (ISO) release there should be at least a changelog in the form @Caliga pointed out. I at least want to know when the ISO was released and what changed from the last release.

In addition, PureOS is based on Debian testing, but Purism changes a couple of things. I would be interested in when you import packages from Debian and what was modified. This should also be in the release notes.

Furthermore, as @Caliga pointed out:

1 Like