Purism 15 v4 with PureOs sometimes doesn't start

Sometimes, after entering the passphrase, my Librem 15v4 hangs. It seems busy but it never gets to the login screen.

It keeps showing the progress bar. It’s possible to press ESC and then a few lines of log appear.

One is something with a failure to load firmware, but looking at my dmesg after a succesful boot, it’s also there:

Failed to load DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin. Disabling runtime power management.

The other is a systemd message about some task being busy on /dev/mapper/<uuid>. Above that, there’s some messages about a (successful) fsck file system check. I first thought it was simply a long running check, but I’ve waited for hours once and it didn’t progress.

I’m not sure how to debug this, as it only happens intermittently. A hard reboot tends to solve it, usually. But it’s still slightly worrying. Is anyone else having this issue?

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue. Once upon a time, it would hang on the Purism logo and I remember reading somewhere that I should wiggle my trackpad to give it random data to encrypt with or something and I believe that worked, but now it doesn’t, so I accidentally found I could see the logs like you do with ESC, but I don’t know what to do and hard reboot doesn’t seem to fix it.

This answer seemed to work for me just now, even though it appears for a different issue: Librem 15 won't turn on

It’s possible my issue was related to this as well - IDK: Trackpad stopped working