Purism Launches Librem 14, Successor to Security-focused Librem 13 Product Line

Should be dual channel, as to my understanding there’s quite a performance boost to be had there.

6 Likes

that’s good to know. indeed the performance should be a significant upgrade compared to the last 13v4 …

1 Like

Are orders able to be upgraded in light of this new option?

Also if 32gb was ordered will that now be 2 16gb sticks to take advantage of the dual channel now possible?

Excellent news and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

For existing orders, the default will be for a single stick, but you can contact ops@puri.sm and work out the details on how to change your order. I believe 2 sticks are a bit more expensive than a single stick.

1 Like

Which sticks are installed defaulty?

one more option

• use a projection virtual keyboard

then the keyboard face of the laptop just has to be a plain white surface.

Example existing device: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Projection-Virtual-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B00LFJBP0Y

BUT with the intention that it is

a) integrated within the laptop (and hence not separate and wireless and battery powered), and
b) completely customisable (I get the impression that existing devices on the market only do one layout).

2x4GB costs $9.00 more than 1x8GB
2x8GB costs $10.00 more than 1x16GB
2x16GB costs $10.00 more than 1x32GB

1 Like

@Julie21 welcome in this forum!
Basic configuration of L14 is with 1x8GB.

1 Like

I7-10710U supports 2666MHz DDR4 memory. Should we expect that L14 would support/come with 2666MHz memory?

It will support 2666Mhz RAM (along with a range of frequencies) but we don’t explicitly state or guarantee which exact RAM modules we will include in a particular order (outside of capacity) because it varies over time based on availability.

I started a poll regarding demand of keyboard-layouts: Poll: Keyboad-Layout Librem 14

2 Likes

FWIW I’m glad existing orders will use a single stick. Since I ordered the 32GB version, I can just purchase a separate 32GB stick to max out the device. If it shipped with 2 sticks then I’d end up having to replace them both.

This machine looks definitely interesting. How long will the Librem 14v1 be available for the special pre-order price?

1 Like

I’m in Australia too, in locked-down Melbourne. It’s just a
matter of getting the right power-cord. The mains connector on
the Librem13 brick is one of the standard 3-pin connectors. I
picked up one from my local second-hand computer shop. In fact the
owner gave me two for free because they’re always accumulating.

Small gripe: When I ordered my Librem13 I got a spare power
adapter. Having no choice but US or EU, I selected one of each. But
I specifically added a comment that if they couldn’t send AU
cords, it would be better to send none at all — it’d just be a
waste, and I could source my own. But they still sent the two
power cords, which I’ve added to my collection of useless power
cords.

Maybe Purism (are you listening?) could provide on their order
page an explicit option for no power cord at all. That would be
less wasteful, not only for folks in AU, but also SG, HK, ZH,
etc.

1 Like

last time i checked the power cord of the L14v1 is a separate purchase … this i understand like this “the L14v1 comes without a power-cord in the box”

Alternatively, you could deliberately order the wrong cable for your country but use it with a plug adapter. Sure, that’s a bit clunky but maybe a random customer can more readily get hold of a plug adapter than a cable with a local plug and the appropriate three-pin socket at the other end.

In some sense it would be helpful if the AC/DC adapter were available with an IEC 60320 C13/C14 connector, as an alternative to the connector that it does have - and, as you suggest, the customer would order without the power cable.

Hmmm… When I look on https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-14/ it just has power-adapter choice, with only US, UK, EU options. No mention of separate power-cord.

confused between power-cord and power-adapter choice ?

let’s define one or both and then stick with that :slight_smile:

i have a universal EU power-brick adapter so i don’t need one from Purism …

by universal i mean it has a BUNCH of barel-connectors for different brands and by EU i mean it has a SCHUCKO compatible wall plug …

is this clear now ?

it has also a hardware variable voltage adjustment (in 3 steps i believe it was) … it’s on the “brick-ier” side … :))

This is what I do all the time as I live in Germany atm. I could understand wanting a non adapter needing plug though. I am eventually going to be back in the US so the plugs are not so crucial for me.

1 Like

@Kyle_Rankin - any chance we can know the duration of the pre-order campaign? I just received my Librem Mini yesterday and need a bit more time with the O/S and hardware to determine if I also want to invest in the laptop form factor in this environment.

1 Like