Purism use this new trend to your and our advantage (Gen z switching to dumb phones)

It’s not the same thing though. LTE != internet.

In practice whether any given carrier makes them the same thing is another question. From what I can gather, carriers are an oligopoly in most countries and they are supremely unresponsive to customer wishes.

But then …

This sounds controversial. I don’t think you can be half pregnant. You either have internet or you don’t.

Yes, it is possible that a responsive carrier might choose to enable such an arrangement where the carrier provides updates and you have no access to the internet. How many privacy-focused customers would be happy with that though?

Would such a phone be so stripped back that it could get by with no updates? Or maybe updates only via a USB-connected host computer?? (just like in the bad old days of the early iPhones)

I have lots of implied questions.

I’ve seen the headlines too but … did anyone tell Big Corporates?

More and more of them are introducing apps that will in the not so distant future be required in order to authenticate and/or interact. Want to deal with Big Corp or Big Gov? Then you’ll need the app. So there’s something of a tug-of-war there and I’m not predicting the winner.

Clearly the traditional Librem 5 market is not the market for a dumbphone.

Then there are the social-media-addicted Gen Zs … I guess that’s what you mean by detox.

Then there are the questions as to whether MMS will still be possible if there’s no internet. (I think that MMS would no longer be possible - although maybe a carrier could make it work. Now, if the phone has no camera you can’t realistically send any images anyway. However MMS is used for more than just sending images - and of course people can still send images to you.)

Then there’s the newly de facto standard, RCS. Will that still be possible without internet? (The implication of not supporting RCS and only supporting SMS is that basically you won’t be able to do SMS at all eventually. So no real need for a QWERTY keyboard, just a dial pad. No SMS also means that those Big Corps who are security laggards and only allow authentication via SMS will then have no means of authentication.)

Then there’s the issue of homes with poor mobile coverage that can use WiFi calling to make calls while at home. No WiFi implies that that option disappears.

No internet implies that no calling options beyond vanilla mobile calls are possible e.g. no dedicated communication app (like Signal) e.g. no calling via social media e.g. no VoIP.

Some people like to synch their phonebooks from one device to another (and a basic phonebook would presumably still be a requirement even if the only thing the phone can do is make phone calls). That would be difficult or impossible if the phone is too stripped back.

Maybe it needs to be clearer what the dumbphone can do, rather than what it can’t.

I’m also wondering what there is to be kept private if all you can do is make vanilla mobile phone calls. That is never going to be fully private anyway. The carrier knows whom you call. The government can know.

Ditto regarding your approximate location. The carrier knows where you are. The government can know. The mobile phone network is by its nature unprivate as far as your location goes.

Anyway, all food for thought …

2 Likes

Not true. I have a Nokia dumbphone which works great while data is permanently disabled even though it has a few apps which require internet access, I just don’t use those apps. When I wanna update it, I turn data on and check for updates.

Would such a phone be so stripped back that it could get by with no updates? Or maybe updates only via a USB-connected host computer?? (just like in the bad old days of the early iPhones)

This sounds like a nice idea.

More and more of them are introducing apps that will in the not so distant future be required in order to authenticate and/or interact. Want to deal with Big Corp or Big Gov? Then you’ll need the app. So there’s something of a tug-of-war there and I’m not predicting the winner.

1 - this phone (along the other truly dumb phones) will put up resistance to that
2 - most probably the Librem 2 (let’s call it that for now) will be a secondary phone for the majority of customers anyway so…

Then there’s the newly de facto standard, RCS. Will that still be possible without internet? (The implication of not supporting RCS and only supporting SMS is that basically you won’t be able to do SMS at all eventually. So no real need for a QWERTY keyboard, just a dial pad. No SMS also means that those Big Corps who are security laggards and only allow authentication via SMS will then have no means of authentication.)

RCS will work offline (kinda), messages will be received as MMS instead (with a few limitations).

You’re missing the point here. This won’t be yet another “wouldn’t it be great if we add this or that feature/app?”. No. In this phone less is more. It’s what would make it unique. Even the Nokia dumbphones of today are not dumb by any stretch of the imagination. They have recorders, cameras, browsers, facebook apps, etc… So when people will want a real DUMB phone who will they buy it from? Purism or some other company? People now get frustrated because of the overwhelming impact that technology has on them, imagine how they will feel 5-10 years from now!

1 Like

OK, so what functionality will it have?

I’m not convinced that MMS will work without internet.

The challenge with that is the government. If the government is saying to all banks that you must have best practice authentication and the banks are saying to customers and to the government that that is our authentication app (demanding 2FA, in effect) and the banks are saying that cash is dead and all transactions are electronic then the government can afford to let you swing. They don’t care. Obviously this is highly dependent on the individual country, and where the legal and constitutional framework lands.

For the record, there really are people who are doing banking authentication by SMS (today) but they have no mobile signal at home. So WiFi calling (and hence WiFi) is not a “nice to have”. The alternative is literally to initiate the transaction, drive to somewhere there is signal, retrieve the SMS, drive home … and hope that the banking transaction hasn’t timed out in the meantime.

3 Likes

Sounds like a phone I allready have, but it needs a modem update since it uses only 2G…

1 Like

On the upside … the attack surface is substantially decreased, and the likelihood of bugs is substantially decreased.

2 Likes

This is what I’m talking about!
It’s crazy because who wouldn’t wanna be the first one to develop such an easy-to-develop phone? And the even craziest part is people want it, and you could target so many markets with it:

• Off-grid people
  • Privacy-conscious people
  • Technology-detox people
  • Minimalists
  • Older-generation people
  • etc…
1 Like

Do you expect this phone to have hardware kill switches? If no, it will have tracking constantly on. If yes, I’m afraid it will not be easy to make at all.

How about separation of the modem from the OS?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Those are good questions but I don’t see how they relate to the quoted text from me. “decrease” was a comparison between a smartphone and a dumbphone, with all other things being equal.

So if you compare the Librem 5 with the hypothetical Librem 5 Minimalist Edition, the statement is true.

And if you compare a random mainstream smartphone with a random mainstream dumbphone, the statement is true (within the limits of vagueness, since I haven’t been specific about a make and model of either phone).

As it’s not “my” phone, I think it is for the OP (@hope1) to address the two specific issues that you raise (kill switch, separation).

Treating it as a marketing exercise, the easy answer would be that the priority is on detox / minimalist rather than privacy. So, yes, existing Librem 5 customers won’t like it, accustomed as they are to being able to drop off the network with the flick of a switch.

I think the difficulty is that the market is exactly not existing Librem 5 owners. I take your point that a person could have two phones but, as a marketing exercise, that brings up its own challenges.

2 Likes

It depends on your threat model. If you care about tracking by the cellular operator, the attack surface of any existing dumbphone is larger than that of a Librem 5, due to the two problems I mentioned. It’s extremely hard to make a “hypothetical Librem 5 Minimalist Edition”, due to the same two problems.

Yes, but it’s irrelevant when we have Librem 5, which beats both at privacy.

Then see my above comment: SXMo could be the answer.

1 Like

As software maybe but if you look at a requirement to have no WiFi (no GPS, no Bluetooth) then that can’t be met fully in software.

On the page you link, you find someone writing “Being able to SSH into my phone […]” and, yeah, I like being able to SSH into my Librem 5 too … but I don’t think that is in the spirit of what the OP wrote originally.

In some respects, I think finding a solution (hypothetically speaking) would start with surveying what existing hardware is out there that meets the brief and then assessing whether it can be used with exclusively open source software. Maybe a substantially stripped down version of SXMo would do the job.

As I think you implied, the modem is likely to be the sticking point. What compromises is the designer prepared to make?

1 Like

Kill switches?

Maybe, but ssh’ing to the linked flip phone has minimal benefits, which is the main point. You won’t do it daily, only in exceptional cases.

1 Like

You mean switches that are always off, and can’t be switched on, or don’t even exist as switches? Maybe but I don’t think it’s in the spirit of the OP. It’s also cost and complexity. If the OP says “no WiFi” then that’s what is sought - at least where possible.

As a hypothetical … imagine that the phone has a USB port but that the USB port can only be used as a client device and always behaves like Jumpdrive on the Librem 5 when connected to a host computer i.e. exposes the internal drive as a USB drive on the host. Then maybe you can fix whatever needs to be fixed from your Linux host system and never have a need to SSH in.

This mode of operation could be used to upgrade the software, as well as making ad hoc fixes, as well as potentially configuring things for which a UI doesn’t exist on the booted phone.

1 Like

Anyone who wants a usable phone (be it smart or not) for calls & SMS (not just a wifi phone) will have the Modem as a tracking source, right. The calls you make and sms you send are recorded anyway.

So I don’t see any sense in separating the modem from the main CPU since you won’t have any other information on the phone that you’ll want to protect from the modem. To put it differently, all the information you’ll have on your phone (call,sms, contacts) will be exactly the same information that the authorities have access to anyway!
The only benefit would be FSF-compliance but for that Purism would have to do extra work to design a phone with 2 CPUs and the power draw? IDK if it’s worth it.
A microphone killswitch would be a MUST tho. Because you need it for calls and the modem could use it against you.

That’s right. And also the phone would need a beefy OS (Like Linux) in order to do that right? And as we know beefy FOSS OSes don’t really do good on the energy-saving front (battery life). There are very simple OSes (like the ones used in smarth watches) for such cases and that’s what is going to provide that long battery life.

You know guys, we’re so used to having multiple features and apps that somehow just thinking about building such a dumb phone feels weird :smiley: I get it, I feel it too. But then I remember that there are no such phones and that they will be valued, especially later in time when we will be overwhelmend by all the SMART things around us.

And I have an idea of how it could please both the Linux fans and the Librem 2 target market. Purism could put beefier hardware, more storage, ram etc… more than necessary for a dumb phone and then allow users to Unlock it (when connected to a Linux PC via USB) and install Linux on it or whatever they want. I think Purism should only support the ability to unlock the phone and stop there and let the community do the rest (if such interest will be).
The tradeoff here will be the higher cost of the phone due to beefier hardware.

HMMMM… I think I know how to remove the tradeoff completley. The solution is to offer the phone in different variants, at least two. Purism will have to build one Chassis and one PCB and then modify each slightly(?) to accomodate each variant. This way each variant will be priced accordingly.
1st variant - the cheapest and the dumbest, 2nd - better specs, wifi, touch screen, etcc… which would allow users to put Linux on them, 3rd - ???

2 Likes

Check my above link to the flip phone again. It has up to 14 days of battery life.

1 Like

Maybe I’m a party pooper, but that phone runs on a modified android os (privacy issue) and probably has several circuits integrated into one chip which both explains the lower power consumption.

1 Like

Yes, and it has wifi, cameras etc… I don’t think @fsflover understands the concept of the phone that I’m describing in this thread.

2 Likes

Yes, it is unavoidable that at the moment you send or receive an SMS and for the duration of a call, your phone is a tracking device. The phone network knows where you are and by extension the mobile network company and the government know where you are.

But between those times on the Librem 5 you have the option of switching the modem off, dropping off the radar as it were, and not generating any tracking data / location records.

Technically, if RCS replaces SMS and RCS grows standardised end-to-end encryption then the content of the SMS will no longer be recorded, only the metadata such as when, where and with whom. (That could in theory invalidate the claim that the authorities would have access to the content of your text messages. They wouldn’t have access by interception. They would have access by local device compromise.)

You might have an address book. (There’s an obvious difference between the contacts that you have used - yes, the authorities have those anyway - and the contacts that exist in your address book but which have not yet been used.)

If you are using RCS with E2EE then probably there are some private keys that can be stolen (and that would be significant badness).

I’m sure if we do more than scratch the surface, we would discover other attack scenarios for the situation that you have a blackbox modem with unfettered access to system memory (and worse still a blackbox modem that can update its firmware over-the-air).

To me, there’s no right or wrong answer. You set out your requirements, you build the phone, and the market will decide whether it is a phone that the market wants. (Whatever you build, from the perspective of privacy, it seems like it won’t be worse than a mainstream phone.)

1 Like

It’s not the concept that I don’t understand but your goals. You want to force yourself to not use the corporate social media on the phone? – Librem 5 should work. You want to fight against tracking? – Same. You want to fight against the industry going in the wrong direction? – Define “wrong”. Librem 5 is still the answer in most cases. You want a long battery life? – A flip phone ( as explained above, the privacy problem is almost moot, since you are always tracked by the cell towers anyway. However the access of the modem to the OS can still be a problem in my opinion, e.g., it can read your personal notes or compromise your laptop via the USB connection).

1 Like

Maybe for you, but probably not for others.

2 Likes