Quantum Purebrowser?

The new Firefox Quantum browser is out. I have it installed on my Librem and its world apart from the previous version (55). Previous firefox would use 1+ Gb of memory right from the start with several tabs opened, and easily climb to 3Gb after days of use. watching youtube, listening to music onine… Firefox Quantum has so far not crossed the 400 Mb mark. Impressive!

So the question is, can we expect a PureBrowser based on the new Quantum release?

4 Likes

After it makes it into Debian testing, I suppose.

2 Likes

I second this request. Found myself immediately hooked to the performance of Quantum. Really want to see it in the Pure OS. Would be great having it on the Librem5.

I third the request!

1 Like

odly enough its uses more ram on my android device than on my Librem laptop. I hope it is able to run faster and leaner on the librem 5.

Interesting article why FF Quantum is so much faster.

2 Likes

I am told that Chris Lamb is working on it, as it has begun trickling down in Debian Sid.

5 Likes

Yes, but you will need to write a mobile friendly UI.

Hi,
Firefox Quantum is what it is because of Rust, which is a systems programming language that runs blazingly fast, prevents segfaults, and guarantees thread safety, and I hope that it will be used for development of PureOS Librem 5 UI/UX as well.

2 Likes

but of course, hello world in rust works 7.5 times faster than in pascal.

For those interested in UI, the link of @vrata pointed to the CSS engine shipped in version 57.
I believe the WebRender engine will ship in a few versions.

1 Like

Sooper article. Very interesting background section to frame rendering.

So basically FF has been using the CPU for painting pixels and WebRender is going to move the pixel painting to the GPU, this will enable an impressive 60 fps in the coming FF Quantum Rander

We look forward to landing WebRender in Firefox as part of Quantum Render in 2018, a few releases after the initial Firefox Quantum release. This will make today’s pages run more smoothly. It also gets Firefox ready for the new wave of high-resolution 4K displays, because rendering performance becomes more critical as you increase the number of pixels on the screen.

But WebRender isn’t just useful for Firefox. It’s also critical to the work we’re doing with WebVR, where you need to render a different frame for each eye at 90 FPS at 4K resolution.

1 Like