Qubes Optimal Setup

I bought a Purism 15v4 back in August, and really started my deep dive into Qubes and Unix system operations. Fast forward 9 months, and I’m now being considered for entry into the elite cadre of “Qubes Power Users”, a prestigous organization which I just made up. Well at any rate, I did learn a few things that I think are useful, maybe this can help you with your own setup.

I actually just uploaded my first repository to Github, where I have some useful scripts (like a screencapture tool that works inside the VM), and some additional information. Hope you take a look!

KDE (Qt) vs GNOME (GTK)

If you hope for a versatile Qubes machine, but unfamiliar with these terms, you’re gonna have a bad time. Qt and GTK are GUI libraries which underpin nearly all Linux GUI applications. KDE and GNOME are desktop environments (DE), based on Qt and GTK respectively. Mostly, a DE is just a fancy GUI application to run programs, manage files, and use widgets without having to touch an icky terminal. It does other crucial stuff, like system management and background wallpaper. Qubes dom0 uses Fedora, with a DE called “Xfce”, which is just a lightweight “spin” off Gnome.

For years, Gnome has been “encouraging” users to see the light and stop wandering off the reservation, by being progressively less accomodating for cross-platform devs and apps not inside the Gnome ecosystem. My experience, first on a Lenovo and then Purism laptop, is that non-gnome packages often present poorly and have unresolvable useability issues. I tried running my production VMs on a “fedora-30-full” template, where I installed all things rpm and rpm-fusion, even flatpak. But it simply didnt’ cut it.

After much experimentation and conspiracy-speculation fueled research, I have the uncontentested best setup for a Purism v4 with Qubes

Uncontested because no one, except myself, has actually reviewed it

1. Fedora-31 template, updated, no additional packages. Use this template for system VMs (sys-net, sys-usb, sys-vpn, and a dvm for experimentation). I wrote a script to quickly set DPI scaling inside of VMs, in case your fonts are too small (see my repo). Alternatively, you can drop a 1-liner script in /usr/bin/dpigsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor $1 to quickly set zoom in VMs as you run them. Dont forget sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/dpi after creating the script.

2. Clone the debian-10 template, and then REMOVE GNOME ENTIRELY. sudo apt-get remove gnome* If you also run autoremove (you don’t have to), be careful not to remove the qubes-core-agent packages. Requies sudo apt-mark manual <package> all packages beforehand. After that, install the full KDE desktop suite, sudo aptitude install ~t^desktop$ ~t^kde-desktop$ and also sudo apt-get install gnome-icon-theme. I also installed transmission-qt, git, kdenlive, krita, and wine.

• Side note. sudo vi /etc/X11/Xresources/X11-common and add Xft.dpi: 192 will make all appvms based on this template start with dpi of 192 (or whatever you want). Again, you can add my script which sets a persistent dpi for the VM in which its run, or add your own 1-liner echo "Xft.dpi: xxx" | xrdb -merge to the template /usr/bin/ directory. New DPI in Debian doesn’t take effect until restarting the application. I also recommend forcing fonts DPI in systemsettings5 or KDE System Settings (from GUI), where you also can set dark mode options.
  3. I ALWAYS recommend experimenting with configurations and installing first time trial of new packages in a dvm. Create a debian-10-kde DispVM for this purpose, before installing trial packages to the template. It will keep the debian-10-kde template clear of junk/problems that result from repeated install/remove, purge, autoremove, and troubleshooting and mistakes you’re likely to encounter.

4. For good measure, I also installed KDE to dom0 sudo qubes-dom0-update @kde-desktop-qubes BUT DON’T ACTUALLY CHANGE THE LOGIN MANAGER. You want to stay in xfce (or better, i3), because I found that actually running KDE desktop in dom0 made my computer super glitchy, nigh unuseable. The idea is that I DO want the Qt packages in dom0, so that my Qt (KDE) based AppVMs can easily render in dom0 which controls the GUI, but I DON’T want to actually run KDE desktop. I’m not actually sure if this is necessary, but I don’t think it hurts.

5. i3 Window Manager (i3wm). If you can switch to it, do so. sudo qubes-dom0-update i3 i3-settings-qubes It’s not a desktop environment, it’s a tiling window manager with a few added tools (look it up). If you can reasonably run a terminal and have some time to learn, this will significantly improve your organization and workflow. You can still run GUI applications. In fact, I think this is at least a partial factor in fixing my problem of not being able to play fullscreen videos at max screenresolution. See the ‘i3wm/’ directory of my repo for details.

FINAL NOTES

I still have problems with Firefox crashing regularly, and graphical heavy applications consuming like 50-90% of my CPU. I think this is unavoidable because of the lack of OpenGL (graphics libraries) in dom0, which Qubes devs say is a big security vulnerability, please let me know if you have a solution for this.

Qubes is in full swing developing 4.1, which will see the introduction of the GUI domain, which should hopefully solve a lot of these GUI related issues. I will very likely be sticking with Debian, KDE, Qt for my production environment, and i3wm for sure.

10 Likes

speaking of debian, the stable image is at 10.4 (announced that a few days ago) > https://www.debian.org/News/2020/20200509

and by the way for workstation/graphic-designers/3d-modelers/photographers/architects/etc. ubuntu-studio is moving to KDE later this year (20.10)

1 Like

Hey man, I just wanted to say I saw your post on the Qubes sub-Reddit and I think what you’ve done is pretty bad ass. I’m neck deep in OSCP but as a Qubes-user, I bookmarked your Github page and fully intend to return to it once I’m certified. From what I saw though, great job!

4 Likes

Thanks Corbeau! Glad you liked it!

Nice write-up. I’ve been using Qubes exclusively since 2016 myself, and have never thougth about tweaking the UI, as I had my hands full with the other features. I’ve created some scripts for doing mfa by menu option for dual-factor auth, and have created a small script for recycling VPN. I definitely have some improvements to make to them before I can give them out, but you have just reminded me that I need to get back at it. I never forget, I still have much to learn.

Thank you for your contributions!

3 Likes