Questions on NVME Storage

Why is Purism’s storage so expensive?

Just to give a comparison for the NVME Pro 512 GB storage.
Amazon: ~159 USD
Purism: 649 USD

I understand that Purism ships it prebuilt but, I know how to manage storage.
How does this affect me? Is it special somehow?

Is it special somehow?

Like more freedom respecting? Is the online stuff somehow worse?

When I asked them about it they said it’s the Samsung 970 Pro.
Which is 2+ times cheaper anywhere online :slight_smile: plus they retain the old drive.
I guess it’s some kind of noob tax or they just follow Apple’s example regarding upgrades.

Yes it is special and has more freedom, for example you will be free from more money in that case.

Yes it is special and has more freedom, for example you will be free from more money in that case.

Haha, so no non-monetary differences tho.

When I asked them about it they said it’s the Samsung 970 Pro.

Thanks for correcting me. I accidentally added the wrong link.
Definitely will fix this.

It is more expensive because they have to use their hardware sales to fund their development. You pay a markup on the hardware to support all the developer time of creating a privacy-respecting, open-source line of devices and services. Though now that their services bundle is out, the cash from those subscriptions should help fund things a bit better, so you may well see a drop on laptop prices in the near future.

1 Like

Yes. The work we are trying to do with creating privacy respecting computers and soon phones, requires a lot of resources in development and research.

Also this might interest you: https://wp.puri.sm/faq/why-does-it-cost-so-much-whats-the-benefits-of-paying-more/

2 Likes

Fair enough. Profits are a beautiful thing when they fund development and operation of the products and services you need and want.

2 Likes