Raspberry pi software information

Good day community

Will you please be so kind to tell me what is a GNU Linux version that is closely related to Pureos which i can install on my Raspberry pi please

I don’t think there will ever be a Pureos version for the Raspberry pi

Regards

PureOS is a Debian derivate free of binary blobs and closed source drivers.

That is the reason you’ll not get it for a Raspberry Pi (at least before Version 4), but you can install Debian to your Pi.

You’ll be as close to PureOS as you can get.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response

I have Rasberian on

I was just curious

I am very keen on total free software that also don’t spy

I am a big fan of Pureos

Regards

Raspberry Pi’s run on an ARM bases and many OSes are not available for ARM. On the PureOS website for example you see that it only supports amd64 architecture.

Raspbian is also based on Debian in its base, see here. I’m not sure if you can run an RPi will fully open-source, blob free software. The full Raspbian package surely contains non-free software packages and those sources are even on CLI version activated by default.

Even with all the discussed points: Raspbian is a Debian based product. It will always depend on what you are going to put on it and what your target profile is. Using any Linux is a great start for most people!

1 Like

Actually, there’s an arm64 flavor of PureOS, made for the Librem 5. In combination with the experimental Raspbian 64 bit kernel, this might work. Featuring light, mobile optimized software, plus everything from the desktop… :thinking:
I’d actually like to try that some day
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good day Caliga

did lots of searches

cant find a image for it

also spoke to the previous programmer of PureOs and he says there is not one

I am trying to send an email to Todd Weaver, but that seems impossible at this stage

I reckon I am stuck with Rasberian, looks like there is no Free GNU/Linux distributions for the Raspberry pi 4

Maybe you would know of a distro

Thanks for the reply

regards

What is the reason why the Librem 5 version of PureOS will not work on the Raspberry pi? I can see the liklihood that any proprietary hardware on the Raspberry pi might not be supported by Purism. But it should be possible to load the OS on to the Raspberry pi and then execute some code there to get either a desktop or a bash prompt there. Theoretically, it should be possible to install any proprietary drivers in to PureOS (an unholy endeavor), if you can find a hardware vendor’s installation binaries. A keyboard, mouse and display drivers should all work by default.

ArchLinuxARM exists, it is possible to set up a system using only free software using this I would think.
There are proprietary programs in the repos, but if you are diligent then I think it should be possible to avoid them.

Good day spacemanspiffy, Arch is not part of the Free GNU/Linux distro list

https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

here is a list of all the Free GNU/Linux distro, that is why it would be super cool if PureOs can bring an image out and save us all money

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

I here you, I not big into programing, I will blow the board up haha

It would be make life easier if Todd Weaver can just visit the forums once in is his busy life, and say…I am in busy making a Raspberry pi 4 image …would that not be nice???

Is there no online Q&A on him somewhere soon on Zoom or something?

I really like there software and they are getting some nice hardware on the market even if it still a bit much, but I want to get my hands on one of there phones ones day i hope

Regards

I hope this information explains a little bit why there will probably never be a PureOS on the Raspberry Pi the whole Board is booted via the VideoCore of the SoC using Firmware blobs.
If you want a board similar to it you can try porting the the ARM (Phone) verion of PureOS to an SBC with the same Processor as the Librem5 for example hummingboard by SolidRun.

3 Likes

indeed but that’s also the case about ubuntu. however ubuntu has a fully free software distribution (i.e libre-linux-kernel + GNU programs) that one can use to install on his machine if the hardware is open like what Purism sells. however if the user has ONLY proprietary-hardware available to him he will find that to be a pain in the butt …

Hey reC, i like what you saying, which version of Ubuntu

Thanks Manuel

i don’t :sweat_smile: and i refuse to link to it :triumph:

imo if PureOS or the other FSF-RYF certified GNU+Linux-libre distributions don’t just work out-of-the-box for the common folk that has ONLY-open-hardware at his disposal then the easiest option is to just use the mainstream images (.iso) provided by each major distribution (debian,fedora/centos/red-hat,ubuntu,suse,slackware,gentoo,arch)

if you grab one of those make SURE that you AT LEAST verify the file BEFORE you burn it to an install-medium (usb/cd/dvd/etc.)

You can reportedly install Ubuntu on the Raspberry Pi.

I haven’t done this but the instructions appear to take the approach of installing Ubuntu Server first and then you install your choice of desktop environment.

Thanks,

I did manage to got Ubuntu 20.04 running on my pi 4 4gig
I did bought a pi 4 8gig model and delivery will be early next week.

I would still like to have PureOS setup on it thow

What i did find out the last couple of days, it wont work because of the boot file on the sd card, but I reckon if you boot it up with the SSD drive, you might be able to get past that issue.

Then my last big issue with the Pi is that is has got proprietary computer hardware in it

Living in South Africa it is very expensiveness to import proprietary free computer hardware.We also dont have such hardware by us that I am aware of since we dont make our own computer hardware.

But I do believe to run the Pi 4 as a cheap low budget pc, that dont use lost of power, and you one can get a free GNU/Linux distro on it, will be a great starting point.

If Raspberry Pi can move away and start to think about safety and start to use proprietary free computer hardware, it will be amazing, but I dont think that will happen soon, if at all.

It also does not look if someone at PureOS will add a image up for the Pi and I do reckon it is about the proprietary free computer hardware issue.

So, at the moment I am stuck with a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8gig ram running Ubuntu 20.04, which did not break the bank and I reckon it is a good place to start.

For know I can focus to move away from Google

and at work you stuck with Windows…

Just ordered the new Raspbery Pi 8gb model.I love these little boards.

Someone asks you for information and you refuse to provide it because you don’t agree with it? A little hypocritical, don’t you think? We’re all about freedom here.