Re: librem-5-smartphone-final-specs-announced

I was referring to the BM818, BM818-E1, BM818-A1 and BM818-T1 on the page I linked. Are they mount types? I assumed it was region variants like for the Gemalto modem.

I had guessed around 72 x 146 mm when they first released the picture of the phone. Now that they have confirmed the screen size, I think that would be pretty close based on the picture.

After a cursory glance, it looks like the BM818-A1variant would meet all my Verizon frequency needs. Is that right?

1 Like

Lol, just saw what you were referring to. :smile:

1 Like

I think you’re absolutely right - 4 regional variants. I didn’t expect variants inside the “Frequency bands” section…
(That “LTE standard” menu had me confused)

3 Likes

Nooooo!! Where me 4 GB of RAM at? :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

@joao.azevedo, while updating that, could you clarify some of the wording please?

• Smartcard: Reader with 2FF card slot (SIM card size)
    —> Mini-SIM card size!
  • nanoSIM tray for cellular
    —> nanoSIM tray (4FF) for single SIM card
  • Option 1: Gemalto PLS8 3G/4G modem w/ single sim on replaceable M.2 card
    Option 2: Broadmobi BM818 (made in China)
    —> Baseband on replaceable M.2 card:
    Option 1: Gemalto PLS8 3G/4G modem w/ single sim on replaceable M.2 card
    (2 Variants: Europe, US)
    Option 2: Broadmobi BM818 (made in China)
    (4 variants: Europe, US, ???, ???)

That’s how I understand it at least. The current wording indicates that for Option 1 there is a SIM slot on the replaceable M.2 card, and for option 2 both are not the case, so that’s very misleading for everybody not following all the forums discussions.
Also, I think it can currently be misinterpreted to say that the SIM and smartcard have the same size.

6 Likes

Can you please translate this?

Gurgle-Translat0r:

Heavens, no! Oh, how have I hoped to get me some glorious 4 JigaWatts worth of RAM! I’m so deeply depressed now that I have to live with just three fourths of that. Boohoo… :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

10 Likes

It is a bit sad. I was also hoping for 4GB. However, not too long ago, I never thought I’d see a phone like this exist! So I can live with 3GB. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

i wish this was a 1st april joke. they are just trolling us and secretly we’ll get 8 GB. fingers crossed Purism …

3 Likes

Or several typos perhaps… :wink:

1 Like

My BQ E4.5 running UBports has only 987MB (as dmesg says). So, 3GB would be a big step.

4 Likes

you can smell the excitement in the air allready. keyboards smoking. bank-accounts empying, others filling-up. hope shipping goes well. did we talk about packaging ?

2 Likes

Not that I’m aware of, but I hope it’s something memorable. Something worth hanging on to.

I kind of wish I could justify buying a second one to keep as a collectors item.

2 Likes

i hope they keep the packaging smart and not toss away a bunch of cash on pointless marketing. what’s sweet is already inside. but the box has to be sturdy and not take up a bunch of unnecessary volume during shipping.
by the way i guess it’s coming over the ocean by air (that’s expensive) not water.

2 Likes

I don’t think they need to toss away cash to make it look nice. It will have a certain cost anyway. I’m sure they will do a good job anyway.

my galaxy note 4 only had 3gb ram . i dont ever remember maxing it out

2 Likes

There’s still no indication of whether the video out is HDMI or displayport. Does anyone have any insights?

1 Like

checking my chromebook running galliumos (currently at just over 1 Gb of ram multiple apps running) checking my gnome desktop just over 2Gb with multiple apps running… 3Gb I think we will be fine folks.

3 Likes

I have Debian running on a Dell Inspiron 11, which has 2 GB of RAM :slight_smile: I can run several apps at once. I think Linux is just plain efficient compared to a lot of competing operating systems.

3 Likes