Really? No mysql-server package in PureOS?!

I really wanted to use PureOS because I think it’s cool that it is trying to set a default of privacy and security. As a developer I do need certain tools though. I first had major trrouble installing Chromium and I still haven’t been able to install firefox.

But I just hit upon the fact that I can’t even install mysql on this bad boy, and that I really cannot understand. Why on earth doesn’t PureOS simply take over the repositories of Debian on which it is based so that developers like me can actually get some work done?

Sorry for this rant, but I’m tired and now I need to get back to my Macbook Air yet again to actually get some work done…

MySQL is dead tech. Look for MariaDB instead.

The ‘default-mysql-server’ package will redirect you to the appropriate mariadb-server package. Like jaylittle referenced, MySQL is now owned and maintained by Oracle, and MariaDB is the community-supported fork.

5 Likes

I knew Mysql was dead tech, but mariadb was also not easy to find. Thanks anyway. I’m slowly starting to use my Librem more in my day to day work.

In a week or two I hope to fully switch to my Librem for my work… :slight_smile:

Mariadb is a fine substitute but it does not include a GUI tool like MySQL workbench. I have tried in vain to install MySQL workbench, including building from source, but so far no luck. I guess I need to look for alternatives.

After trying DBeaver and DataGrip, I ended up installing an Ubuntu Virtualbox in order to run MySQL Workbench.

Seems to be ok. In a terminal, typing apt show mysql followed by tab for auto-completion, displays:

mysql-common   mysql-sandbox   mysqltcl   mysqltuner   

Then, apt show mysql-common displays the following:

Package: mysql-common
Version: 5.8+1.0.4
Priority: optional
Section: database
Source: mysql-defaults (1.0.4)
Maintainer: Debian MySQL Maintainers <pkg-mysql-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 34.8 kB
Provides: mysql-common-5.6
Conflicts: mariadb-server-5.5, mysql-common-5.6, mysql-server-5.5, percona-xtradb-cluster-common-5.5
Breaks: mariadb-common (<< 10.0.20-3~)
Replaces: mariadb-server-5.5, mysql-common-5.6, mysql-server-5.5, percona-xtradb-cluster-common-5.5
Download-Size: 7,276 B
APT-Manual-Installed: no
APT-Sources: https://repo.puri.sm/pureos green/main amd64 Packages
Description: MySQL database common files, e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf
 MySQL is a fast, stable and true multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database
 server. SQL (Structured Query Language) is the most popular database query
 language in the world. The main goals of MySQL are speed, robustness and
 ease of use.
 This package includes files needed by all versions of the client library,
 e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

Installing mysql using linux brew works as well.

http://linuxbrew.sh/

Hello,

Why don’t you try installing My SQL using Debian 10 Linux?
Please go through this link: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-my
sql-on-debian-10/

Thanks & Regards,
Anita