Report: No ringing on my end when placing outbound calls, but the call goes through

I turned VoLTE off on my phone, and now I hear ringtones when placing outgoing calls. So it seems related to VoLTE, but the more annoying thing than lack of ringtones is that I seem to not here the answering phrase of the receiving party when I have VoLTE turned on.

It also seems VoLTE on the L5 have the effect that calls to some numbers get disconnected directly then the receiving party answers. That has been a recurring problem for quite some time now when I was calling my spouse. You could have thought that maybe she had put me on a block list, but no, without VoLTE she can answer without the call being terminated.

I have the no-ringing problem too. I think it started after I flashed the latest firmware to the modem in order to enable wake-up-from-suspend and VoLTE.
Can’t do without them.

I think that after today’s updates this problem is fixed for me🤞

Well, not for me. I haven’t heard a ring on the other side for any calls over the last week or so.
You can’t expect people to make calls this way.

same issue with AweSIM, with no ringing when placing calls using the T-Mobile network. You just wait and someone picks up, might be great to create a fake ringing tone on the client side as a workaround, and just cancel it once connection is established?

I think the ringing tone is really just an indicator that call has been placed and waiting to be established by the recipient picking up. Start ringing when outbound call is made, stop ringing when call is established, the below would be an example of a stop signal - stop ringing when ‘MO CONNECTED’, that all seems to be manageable with AT modem commands, independent of what the network operator is doing? VoLTE wouldn’t it send equivalent signals to GSM that a modem can understand?:

AT+CLCC=1
AT+MORING=<mode>
<mode> 0 - Not show call state of mobile originated call 1 - Show call state of mobile originated call. After the call number is dialed, the URC strings of MO RING will be sent if another call is alerted and the URC strings of MO CONNECTED will be sent if the call is established.

`AT+MORING=1`

will enable a family of URCs in case of Mobile Originated call, in the form MO RING - the call is alerted.
MO CONNECTED - the call is established

depending on modem, the above is a SIM900 GSM module.

1 Like

I’ve noticed when I call a land line, I hear the ringing like it’s supposed to do.

1 Like

If only I still had landlines left to call… :slight_smile:

Thats old school!

It’s my parents. They’re in there 80’s

1 Like

I’m having this issue as well. AweSIM, T-Mobile under the hood. I never hear a ring when placing calls to others, and occasionally they’ll drop with no feedback.

2 Likes

Update to this - I do get ringing on my end when using the headphone jack! So I suspect it is happening all the time, it’s just not routing to the external speakers ever.

3 Likes

@NyxTheNightHerself
Your comment got me curious, and I tried the same thing myself (AT&T/US Cellular MVNO, using USC for this test).

Plugged in some headphones, and for the first time ever (I’ve had it more than a year) got an outgoing ring indicator! I thought it was an issue with the modem not having any ring indicator all this time, but it seems it’s some kind of issue with just not routing the audio properly. Maybe I’ll try digging into this further and see if I can come up with a fix if somebody else doesn’t beat me to it…

Edit: Built wys 0.1.12 from git, and it works fine. Strangely, I can’t find anything in the changes that would explain what fixed it. Also, the commit history says 0.1.12 was released over a month ago, but apt says 0.1.11 is the latest. Whatever… fix for me is to build the latest from git and replace the executable.

Edit 2: spoke too soon about it being “fixed”. It works for landlines, but not mobile. At least it works some of the time now.

4 Likes

I’m lost… What did you build from git?

1 Like

Oops, thought I already mentioned it.
‘Wys’

4 Likes

It has always worked for landlines. And for some mobile numbers too (depending on the other sides provider, maybe).

Anyhow, it is on of the most annoying features of the L5 - and it has been for a long time.

2 Likes