Running Guix System on Heads

Guix System is currently incompatible with Heads, for the following reasons:

• Kernel files must be stored in /boot

• /boot must not be encrypted, when using full disk encryption

What would fixing these issues require? Or are there any possible workarounds?

Other way around perspective not included?

To be clear, I meant that Heads is unable to boot into Guix System, both are ultimately incompatible with each other.

Any thoughts?

Obviously the logic is upside down. In order to start running you need FEET. Which is why computers need their BOOT program to put their shoes on.

(Funny 55 years ago we called it a BOOTSTRAP program. Apparently over the years it got shorted to the verb BOOT.)

3 Likes

Okay, that was actually mildly funny, kudos. Has anyone got any helpful feedback though?

2 Likes

I’ll try to do better than @tracy then :slight_smile:

I didn’t think that /boot was ordinarily encrypted. That is, I thought that ordinarily, /boot is unencrypted while the root partition is (LUKS-) encrypted i.e. not usually full disk encryption but full partition encryption and applied selectively to a partition.

So I take it that you have looked into this in sufficient detail to confirm that /boot is actually encrypted?

Are you getting some kind of error message that you can post here?

2 Likes

For historical reference, my first boot device was a 5 level Baudot encoded paper tape about 10 feet long. To start load the tape from the paper tape reader, the operator had to load about a dozen Octal codes on binary push button lights. The codes were read from a cheat sheet of paper. The system apps existed on a drum, not disc.

A PDP-8s that I used in grad school was the same. The s was for the serial bus version, but I think it should have been for slow. It was slower than any other computer I had used before.

Fair suck of the sav. Maybe further computer history musings would be better taken to Round Table.

And rightly so. Mine was probably a PDP of some sort. I was never told the computer model, only for the government code-word it was used for. It controlled about a half a dozen screens with keyboards each tied to a reel-to-reel tape drive. Tapes were interesting too, mounted on aluminum O-rings that stayed together because they were tightly packed. No plastic or metal side guards on the reels. If they ever flew apart you’d have tape all over. Never happened though. Some sandcrab gave it thought.