"/" satured then I have only very little additional software

Hello, I come from the windows universe after several attempts, I reinstalled pure OS recently and I have this same problem of root “/” is in red the OS does not want to take any more updates (and I have only very little additional software) indicating that there remain only a few megas while I have 1To, I think I partitioned correctly with Gparted where the boot I had granted 50Go and the OS 20-30 Go if my memories are good. What is the command line solution to definitively fix this recurring problem?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 Like

You might start with:
$ sudo apt-get clean
$ sudo apt autoremove

If this doesn’t help to apt update/upgrade you’ll need to install GParted and start it from Activites (by type to search), top of your screen, above left:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install gparted

in order to resize (make bigger) partition that is in question here. But before you start with above please print output of your partitions (it is important to know space/size of each partition, as currently/afterwards available):
$ sudo fdisk -l

Edit: or (better way) start with removing packages that you’ll easily install back afterwards, like:

$ sudo apt purge libreoffice-core

Hi thanks lot.

After command line sudo fdisk -l

1 Like

I thought I left a lot more room on the sheet music, you will find the info on my other message.

Usually it is that /dev/sda1 belongs to /boot so if your / (/dev/sda2) partition is your main+home partition than you are stuck at cca. 10GB with it (and this is not much), only guessing loudly here. Process of resizing, by using GParted, of your 1TB SSD to 1GB of /boot, before you can expand /dev/sdb2 might be lengthy one. Perhaps thinking of creating backup might be good start? Let us know in which direction you would like to go or proceed with. Thanks for your kind reply!

P.S. Sorry, but it is just too late for me now and tomorrow do not have much time but this community will help you further, take care.

df /

That won’t fix anything but it is the starting point to seeing which is the root file system and how big it is and how much is on it.

1 Like