Screen doesn't come on after power-on

Same for me, but I haven’t noticed any light from the screen. (Maybe the ambient lighting was too bright to see it, though.)

2 Likes

As I recall, no effect. I’ll test again next time the issue happens. Working fine this morning. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@amarok likely backlight probe failure triggers blank display after power on (#494) · Issues · Librem5 / linux · GitLab

2 Likes

Thanks, @guido.gunther. I take it there’s nothing we can do for now, except to keep restarting until it works?

1 Like

@irvinewade
The problem occurred again, so I tested a reboot from ssh (sudo required here). This did correct the problem (this time), and display appeared normally. I don’t think this works every time, so I’ll test again when the problem happens.

EDIT: OK, the ssh reboot seems to be working consistently so far.

2 Likes

Is this the same problem as from the thread: system lock from time to time ?

1 Like

In that topic, the OP’s issue is totally different from mine. The posts you made in that topic sound somewhat similar to my problem, except that the LED briefly illuminates (as normal), and then turns off (as normal). But for me, the display remains black instead of turning on and showing the login screen.

2 Likes

OK, thanx.
I’m not sure if I suffer somehow from the same issue though.
Sometimes I need to force a reboot more then 3 times before it shows the login screen.
And some-days, booting goes as it should.

2 Likes

Same here.

3 Likes

@amarok I’m not aware of any other workarounds than reboot. I’ll link the forum thread to the issue so the kernel team is aware that it’s not only affecting me :grin:

2 Likes

@amarok could you verify you’re seeing the

[    0.921367] lm3692x 2-0036: Cannot read/clear faults: -110
[    0.926880] lm3692x 2-0036: Fail writing initialization values
[    0.933098] lm3692x: probe of 2-0036 failed with error -110

in dmesg when the screen fails to turn on (so we’re sure there’s not another issue as well)

1 Like

I’ve got:

0.299923] lm3692x 2-0036: Cannot read/clear faults: -11

0.305349] lm3692x 2-0036: Fail writing initialization values

0.311542] lm3692x: probe of 2-0036 failed with error -11

1 Like

same problem, green led 1 second then black screen, I thought it was due to the battery starting to weaken because if I plug in the charger at the time of the green led, the start-up goes without a hitch.
I’ve got the suspension activated
If I do a sudo reboot, the phone doesn’t reboot systematically.

1 Like

@amarok thanks for checking, we’re looking at the same issue then.

2 Likes

I have been checking logfiles after having boot problems and I noticed these log entries showing up:

• power key pressed
  • edt_ft5x06 2-0038: Unable to fetch data, error: -6
  • Failed to get current UI legacy scaling factor (2x)
  • unable to get EDID for xrandr-DSI-1: unable to get EDID for output

Next entry is again “Power key pressed.”
I asume that I used the power key once more due to seeing nothing on the screen.

2 Likes

FYI @guido.gunther , I seem to be getting normal/correct boot on first try lately.

1 Like

I experienced 3 power on’s without problems. This morning the problem is back again.
Log events:
systemd-logind Power key pressed.
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to claim ambient sensor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name net.hadess.SensorProxy was not provided by any .service files
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to get current UI legacy scaling factor
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to get current UI legacy scaling factor
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope unable to get EDID for xrandr-DSI-1: unable to get EDID for output
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to claim ambient sensor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name net.hadess.SensorProxy was not provided by any .service files

2 Likes

The issue has returned for me, too.

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s rarer, but it still happens.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely improved.

1 Like