System lock from time to time

Since the last kernel update to

# ls -l /boot/initrd.img-6.4.0-1-librem5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96902941 Oct 13 08:05 /boot/initrd.img-6.4.0-1-librem5

I’m facing a lock of the L5 which I can only solve with long press on the power button and reboot afterwards:

# grep -a Booting /var/log/syslog.1 /var/log/syslog
/var/log/syslog.1:Oct 18 06:51:09 pureos kernel: [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
/var/log/syslog.1:Oct 20 13:24:38 pureos kernel: [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
/var/log/syslog.1:Oct 21 16:29:24 pureos kernel: [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
/var/log/syslog:Oct 25 07:33:13 pureos kernel: [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]

The situation is always the same: The phone was (perhaps) in suspend, at least the display was off. I do a short press on the power button, the lock screen comes up but does not accept any swipe to the PIN entry screen and also not a short press on power button.

Next time I will see if the L5 still accepts SSH over Wifi or over USB.

I’ve also discovered a change in boot behaviour.
However not completely the same as you in your case.
When I power down the L5 gracefully and power it on again, the screen remains black, but the LED is red.
If I shortly press the power button again, the actual boot sequence commences and after a short moment I can enter my login code. I do not have encryption enabled, I guess that maybe explians the difference.
@dos : Has the boot sequence been changed?

@guru I have the exact same problem😕

Update: The L5 in this case does not react on Wifi or USB connects by SSH. Plugin the power brings the red LED up.

I’m still having this issue. It’s not occuring after each boot, but the last week the problem with booting happend several times. Are there more L5 users experiencing this?

I’m unable to reproduce this on my personal L5…

$ uname -r
6.4.0-1-librem5
$ ls -l /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r)
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 97331585 Oct 27 16:51 /boot/initrd.img-6.4.0-1-librem5

Not 100% sure, but I’ve 13 days uptime right now. Seems to be fixed for me. Usually had this problem once in few days. Last time I had this in October (definitely before kernel update … after not sure).

After not experiencing this behaviour for a longer time, I also thought that an update had fixed it.
Now it’s back.

Description of the problem:
After a graceful shutdown followed by a power up (pressing the power button) the L5 reacts with a short vibration, a contstant burning red led and next nothing happens.
After pressing again the red led goes off. After pressing the power button for the third time the normal boot sequence starts.
For the record: I don’ t have suspend enabled.

I recall that issue happening occasionally on my Librem 5 USA whenever I fully discharge the battery.

Good point. Unfortunately this is not the case. My battery level is most of the time above 20%.
This morning I had to use the power button several times, before the L5 booted properly.
Another observation I’ve made is that the power led color sequence is rather unpredictable. During boot it sometimes goes from green to orange, next to red, while it also goes from green to off sometimes.
Or even from red to off.

1 Like

I’m not certain of this but I think the colour sequence depends on the battery level at boot i.e. based on the battery level at boot whether it thinks that it needs to charge - and whether it can charge.

OK, I did not know that.
Thanx for explaining.

This morning again problems booting my L5.
I looked into the journald log file and noticed that there are several errors logged. One looks more serious, but I lack the knowledge to determine it can be ignored or not.
The error is:
Can’t open blockdev /dev/mtdblock1

Is this causing the boot ptoblems?