Sdcard becomes read-only after waking up from suspend

I followed the Quick and Easy User Personas guide, and mount my sd-card to /home/purism.

This is the relevant section of my /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto auto,nofail 0 2
/mnt/sda1/home/purism /home/purism none auto,bind,nofail

Ever since the suspend feature became stable, whenever my phone wakes up from suspend, the sdcard gets mounted as read-only, which causes all sorts of problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Likes

I’m affected by the issue as well and reported it here: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/issues/484

2 Likes

I also noticed this behavior. Sidenote: Don’t try to edit the /etc/fstab to mount it as write & read device on boot as workaround or at least don’t make it a requirement to boot. ^^’

I locked myself out of the device like this because it couldn’t mount my SDcard during boot properly. Maybe I just messed up the UUID by accident but I don’t think I did. At least reflashing the device was pretty much straight forward but it’s not something you want to experience. ^^’

2 Likes

Same problem here.
I used my Librem 5 as daily driver since I got it a few months ago. The “read-only” problem started only a few weeks ago. It happens multiple times a day which means that I usually have to reboot the phone first before being able to use it. Or disable suspend.

My workaround for this: I installed PureOS on a partition on the SD-card in addition to the installation on the eMMC (and added another partition on SD-card as /home). This way I can still boot from SD-card by pressing volume down on boot and repair the installation on the eMMC.

3 Likes

This read-only problem is very annoying. I also try to use my librem5 as a daily driver. As I drove with my car and Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server yesterday, the read-only problem happened as I stopped for 15 minutes. Maybe the plugged power to to the car socket did not get power in this time and a suspend happened. The librem5 display did not change any more while moving the car. After rebooting it worked again. I think this means, if you use the librem5 for navigating you must not enable suspend. (I will try that next time)

I wonder, that there are only so few comments to this topic. Because this topic is so annoying. Are there people, that do not face this read-only problem while using a sd-card and suspend enabled ? If so, which sd-card do you use ?

I use suspend for some weeks now as default. My SDcard remains writable after coming back from suspend:

purism@pureos:~$ mount | grep media
/dev/sda1 on /media/purism/6464-6631 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
purism@pureos:~$ touch /media/purism/6464-6631/ttt
purism@pureos:~$ ls -l /media/purism/6464-6631/ttt
-rw-r--r-- 1 purism purism 0 Jul 24 09:39 /media/purism/6464-6631/ttt

So maybe the problem is only with an encrypted sd-card. (/dev/mapper/crypt_home /home ext4 nofail 0 2) and with ext4 (you are using vfat).

Also if nothing is running I can suspend (most of the time) without problems. So maybe the problem only happens while writing to the sd-card.

Maybe I have to test when this problem occurs, and how I can provoke it.
Also I wonder why this never happens with the internal disk of the librem5. What is the difference ?

I haven’t come across this issue and I also use a LUKS encrypted SD card with ext4 format. I don’t use automatic suspend, but I do suspend it manually when I am going to be away from a power source for awhile.

I can confirm that it happens occasionally with the unencrypted ext4 partition too.