Second Video: Librem 5 Hardware

Hi !

I uploaded another video. It is about the hardware of the Librem 5.
The video is in German again, but with some subbtitles.

If I tell you something wrong or have forgotten something, please comment on it.

cu

23 Likes

Great Video

Maybe you can post what cover you ordered (maybe after you tried it. There should be at least one thread on that topic.

Also you can post the dingens … hier ne … du weißt schon. Datt PDF mit den modem frequencies. There should be at least one thread on that topic, too. :smile:

Also both could be considered to be added to the community wiki.

Yes, this are a good ideas - but not today :slight_smile:

PS: I’m currently working with a manufacturer to better adapt a slide for Purism. I will share my experience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@execrable,
Great video (especially the part where you thanked me! :grinning:) I’m glad to see someone finally do a video on the Librem 5’s hardware and the subtitles in English, Spanish, Italian, Russian and German are awesome.

You measured 153.1 x 76.5 x 15.7 mm for Evergreen, which is different from the 153 x 75 x 15.5 mm, that we have listed on the FAQ. This indicates that Evergreen is not only 3 mm longer than Dogwood, but also 1.5 mm wider. I am going to have to change the FAQ. If anyone else has Evergreen, please measure its dimensions to confirm @execrable’s measurements.

Here are a couple minor points:

• The RS9116 and its driver should support Bluetooth 5, but @dos says that nobody has tested Bluetooth 5 so far, so only Bluetooth 4 is listed on the spec sheet. (It would be great if someone could test Bluetooth 5.)

• The i.MX 8M Quad does not have any hardware video encoding. NXP says that 1080p@30 H.264 video can be encoded in software.

• The GC7000Lite may be capable of supporting 4 FHD displays, but the Librem 5’s USB-C port uses DisplayPort Alt Mode, which is a standard that only supports one display, so we are limited to two displays (the internal 5.7" screen and one external display over USB-C).

6 Likes

My calipers say 153.1 x 75.2 x 15.5 (thickness measured only once, I don’t like hard metal calipers against the screen).

But if you measure width including kill switches and volume/power buttons, then it comes out at 76.6 or some such. (springy buttons introduce bigger measurement error)

While I’m at it; battery dimensions are 10.5 thick, 60 across the phone and 57 mm along the phone, and I could fit six AAA’s into battery compartment and they rattled in all three dimensions. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I am glad that you like the video.

@Dwaff is right. I made the measurements with the buttons because it is the real width of the phone and I can use it to order a matching case :slight_smile:

Thank you for your corrections, I pinned them directly under the video.
I have no idea where I saw the GPU encode :thinking:

7 Likes

I’m in Germany too. Could you please specify the case you ordered and where? Thanks.

As soon as I know it’s not trash, I’ll post it here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@execrable and @Dwaff, I added your measurements to the FAQ: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#12-what-are-the-weight-and-dimensions-of-the-librem-5

3 Likes

Wunderbar erklärt, vielen Dank.
(Wonderfully explained, thank you very much.)
I will link this video from my personal Librem diary.

1 Like