Seek cyber security recommendations

Looks like I need a cyber security professional.

I found two programs installed on my Windows computer, looks like spyware.
(Im in the process of deciding which Librem laptop to buy and configuation.)

programs on Windows are:

1. Ricoh media driver.
  2. synaptis pointing device driver

seeking cyber security person to look at the computer.

Second, does anyone know where i may purchase an RF isolation case
for Librem laptop?

thanks & regards :slight_smile:

1- Ricoh is a printer company so that’s maybe your driver.
2- Synaptics is the driver of your touchpad.
If you suspect anything on your Windows computer you might want to run adwcleaner , when you’re done ask your antivirus to do a full system scan (it’s going to take quite a while) and then after that you should download Malwarebyte (the link takes you to Ninite, that way Malwarebyte will be installed without any cruft) and run a full system scan.

For your RF isolation case are you searching something like that ?

What would the RF isolation case grant you that using the killswitches wouldn’t?

Hi Yuno and WilliamC,

Synaptics definitely seems suspicious given touchpad does not exist on this device.
I personally never downloaded anything from Ricoh, it is however my ex’s former employer…

seeking RF isolation case as i have been hacked from backdoor on this windows device, seems i have had loads of peeps coming by waving “magic wands”.,my understanding is all they need is your device’s frequency

once i buy the Librem i can shut down with kill switches, but i don’t want to give them opportunity to get the frequency of my device and get in at all.

they need to identify your device before they go for the backdoor.

My understanding is that RF isolation case keeps the device from being identified from a frequency standpoint.

Well the best answer I can give you to be sure that you have nothing that would be compromising your security is:
1- Save your important data
2- Find all the drivers you need for this machine (if you intend on installing Linux (security wise that would be the best you can get) just skip this step since all the drivers are already in the kernel (only the GPU ones might be missing if you’re using a 3D accelerator/graphics card)
3- Wipe/nuke your drive clean (zero-ing it with any Linux distro would be my safe bet *)
4- Install your new OS on device

*When your Linux distro is started from your live USB launch a command prompt and type lsblk to identify what letter was attributed to your HDD (by default that should be /dev/sda but it might be sdb or something else) then type sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX BS=1M status=progress (X is your drive letter) (Beware that this will write only zeros on your drive so all you data will be lost but you get the benefit that you are sure that nothing is left on the drive, that might take quite a while depending on the size of your drive)

About the RF case if you intend on using all the kill switches on your (future) Librem the case is going to be useless since the kill switches already neutralize the part that you are killing by cutting the physical link.

thanks once again Yuno, great info, appreciate all this!

So from what you are saying about Librem kill switch,

if i use the device with kill switch engaged then no one can get in thru back door regardless

whether they have picked up my device’s frequency.

So besides the back door, the only other way they could get in

is if they physically download something onto my computer or i accidentally do it for them

via a bad link or bad downloaded file…

Do you know whether I will be able to listen to video and/or music on the Librem

with kill switch engaged…?

Well if you happened to have someone that did get through your security measures and put a backdoor in your system you always have to fear that when you will have your antenna on the attacker can get in your system (but as long as you cut the antenna nothing wireless can access your machine), if you know for sure (or just suspect) that your machine is compromised wipe your drive and re-install.
BTW if you want maximum security try to use GNU+Linux distros as much as possible (the more KISS it is the better it will be), that way you will have drastically much less security risk.

This is a great recommendation, but I’m concerned that if someone new to GNU/Linux starts looking around the internet for a KISS linux distro, they are going to get a lot of recommendations for Arch Linux. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, I love Arch Linux, but he might prefer something that tries more to “just work.” Choosing Debian or one of its derivatives would be a good idea if you are planning on sticking with PureOS when you buy your Librem (congratulations, by the way. I’ve been using mine for a few months now, and I couldn’t be happier with it.)

I was talking about security, the KISS-er it is the better it will be, but obviously I don’t recommend to jump strait to Arch if you just begin on Linux. But I do recommend to build a few Arches and use + maintain them for a few month (when you feel like you are comfortable enough with Linux and command lines), it really helps to understand how your system works. (you can also do a LFS but that’s a bit overkill (I’m sure it’s still a lot of fun tho, I just don’t feel the need to go this far))