Selling librem 5 still brand new

I want to sell my librem 5 still new, I don’t know how to use it. Sell for $650. Email me newtress66@gmail.com if interested.

As always, a bit more info needed: where (city, country or even continent) and which modem (A, E or T)…?

3 Likes

I don’t want to force you to anything, but in case you’re interested: the community is nice and can explain a lot. If that is the only reason you want to sell it, we will be happy to help you learning how to use it. Most stuff is easier than it feels initially.

6 Likes

Further to that … it is common to say what country you are in (even though not technically relevant) and what countries / regions you are willing to ship to.

Otherwise the price seems very reasonable.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to use a European modem in the us and vice versa? I see people stating which modem they have but an having a hard time finding a source on how they’re different.

No, the LTE frequency bands don’t coincide well enough.

See Will my existing SIM card work? What countries and networks will be supported? – Purism

In the U.S., the three major networks’ (T-mobile, AT&T, and Verizon) LTE specifications can be found at https://www.frequencycheck.com/

Compare those to any European network’s LTE frequency bands. Also remember that in the U.S. and now in many other countries, VoLTE needs to work.

Note that in the U.S. the Librem 5 doesn’t work with Verizon, and AT&T officially won’t authorize it, although some forum members have reported successful use with a SIM that was activated in a different AT&T-authorized phone. T-mobile does authorize the Librem 5, and works well.

The same situation applies to any MVNOs; they follow the rules of the major networks they use.

3 Likes

So, realistically, it is fine to buy e.g. a Librem that was originally delivered to and for Europe but use it in the US provided that you plan for the additional cost and hassle of: buying the correct modem as a separate purchase (from Purism) and then very carefully removing the old modem card and installing the new modem card.

By stating which modem is in the Librem 5, it is informing one group of prospective buyers that it will work ‘as is’ and remaining prospective buyers that it will work but with extra cost and hassle.

From the Broadmobi web site:

BM818-E1: FDD-LTE:B1/B2/B3/B5/B7/B8/B20 TDD-LTE:B38/B40/B41(120M)
BM818-A1: FDD-LTE:B2/B3/B4/B5/B12/B13/B17/B25/B26/B66 TDD-LTE:B41(200M)
BM818-T1: FDD-LTE:B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B28/B66 TDD-LTE:B34/B38/B39/B40/B41(200M)

I’ve only copied in the LTE (4G) frequency bands because, as the previous reply implies, 3G is rapidly being phased out and will soon be irrelevant anyway. However, just as the three modem variants differ in their 4G frequency bands, the three modem variants also differ in their 3G frequency bands.

1 Like

And already gone in the U.S.
As for 2G, T-mobile USA (and therefore any related MVNO) still has some 2G connectivity, but the others have already killed it.

1 Like

Right! I should have written “3G or earlier” rather than “3G”.

It wasn’t clear to me what country the poster is actually in, so it is difficult to cover accurately the relevant current state of play with the 3G phaseout / 2G phaseout.

1 Like