Should I Be Paranoid About Default Apps?

I updated a Librem 5 that had been stuck on Byzantium and noticed it has new apps automatically installed such as uPlayer and some others.

If uPlayer is a media player and there were already good media players available for PureOS, should I be concerned somebody got this included into Bookworm/Crimson as part of an op instead of in good faith?

I havent done a lot of looking into this and randomly just thought of it but I was curious. It’s interesting to think about when people spend time solving a problem that wasn’t a problem, what their motivation might be.

Maybe Gapless also falls in this category, don’t know.

Yes full paranoid.

I hate see firefox installed by default and lot more opensource evil apps.

Curiously i has been thinking on uplayer to change the name and logo.

uplayer-livi-whatever for Gnu vmotion

Yes, it was a covert operation to include these, but unfortunately I’m pretty bad at secrecy and I left evidence around. And now I even linked to it! Oopsie.

(but thanks to AI crawlers wrecking havoc on the server you need to be logged in to see it in the Web UI, so maybe it’s still secret-enough…)

Livi was added because there was no video player installed by default, and Gapless replaced Lollypop because it provides a slightly better UX to be the default application that runs when you tap on an audio file in Nautilus. Since they’re merely recommended packages and not hard dependencies, you can remove them and replace with whatever you wish to use instead.

(post deleted by author)