Signal: what are you using?

It does though. I can get audio calls via Dino on the Librem 5.

Can’t make outgoing just yet though but that has to do with Dino and not the phone.

Where would one be able to find your flatpak?

Thanks – I went instead for signal-cli for that, which worked fine for now for that.

My personal choice currently is: I think I’ll want to keep signal-desktop working, even if I use Axolotl day to day, since SD is officially supported in some sense at least (not sure what Signal the company says about running it on ARM machines other than say chromebooks using non-official builds). Of course, I’d still be relying on signal-cli, which is for sure not supported, so it’s interesting to hear about people’s experiences on re-registering too, thanks all.

1 Like

Do you know if anybody has tried it on a pinephone pro? I can’t imagine any reason for it not to work there at least for text, but you never know.

Thanks from me too!

elagost.com/flatpak should have what you need.

1 Like

I am fairly certain that the original creator of the build scripts uses it on the pro. Like you said, no reason it shouldn’t. I used it on the rockpro64 which has the same CPU as the PPP too. I also run postmarketOS, based on Alpine, which uses busybox and musl libc, and that’s quite different from Debian. Flatpaks solve a lot of cross distro compatibility issues.

1 Like

Wow! This was exactly what I was looking for. The Signal desktop now works perfectly on the Librem 5. Even audio and video calling seems to work (L5 camera does not seem to work though.)

Thanks big time for this!!

2 Likes

Could you maybe explain how to add those cli arguments* to the phosh launcher icon? Or is that not possible?

• Signal will be blurry on phosh (pinephone, Librem 5) becacuse of X11. To fix, run with these arguments: -use-gl=egl --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland “$@”. Signal must be opened at least once in X11/Xwayland first (just by clicking the launcher) first.

Well cheese (scaled to fit the screen works with a USB web cam, with a USB-A to USB-C adapter) works.

Picture from (the not so good webcam and no adjustments):

2022-09-29-225726

Screenshot of cheese on a Librem 5 scaled to fit:

I have not tried something like jitsi on firefox and a USB webcam. Or something like signal desktop

3 Likes

I copied the flatpak’s .desktop file (/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.signal.Signal/current/active/files/share/applications/org.signal.Signal.desktop) and placed it in ~/.local/share/applications (you’ll have to create the directory if it doesn’t exist).

I replaced the Exec= line with Exec=flatpak run org.signal.Signal --use-gl=egl --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

You do not end up with 2 Signal icons. Anything in ~/.local/share/applications/ overrides the system-level stuff.

I suppose I could put this instruction on the website too.

3 Likes

Thanks much! Though a reboot was required afterwords, that did the trick!! Huge improvement in clarity.

Thanks again for the help with this.

Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. I am having hard locks happen when trying to enter text after changing the exec conditions.

Are you not having any such issues?

Not personally, no - feel free to submit a ticket on the repo or PM me on irc/matrix so we can keep the thread clean. (contact info is on the site)

Hello, did you know about Flare ? It is an unofficial Flatpak Signal client on GTK4. I don’t know if it works on ARM architecture, and there is some missing features (calls, etc.).

1 Like

Not planned features: Calling

No go for me.

2 Likes

I agree that call//videos are really important

I do not use Singal, cause i hate if i can not run the full Software Stack or Server by myself. And Video Calling? Just use WEB-RTC, if you really need it. Better. Face 2 Face Communication in one Room.
If you need more: Pictures and Text, with a good cypher, from a real free, unknown Device. Likely crypted USB and Ciphered Paper. Better: Personal offline privacy.

1 Like

Hello, are you aware about this arm64 version of signal from arch linux repos ?

How could it be possible to install it to see if it works on the Librem 5 ? thank you for your feedback.

I believe you are mistaken. It’s not arm64 compatible, unfortunately :sob:

Well in the discussion posted, they claim otherwise:

mkurz commented on 2023-01-11 11:44 (UTC)
@hotschi @Edu4rdSHL I am the somebody from GitHub who mentioned that I am able to build this package for aarch64 (since many months actually). And I still can with the latest release (6.2.0-beta.3). Below is the patch you need to use…

1 Like

No, I don’t think it is supported yet. The maintainer commented: